PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A Headlight trim removal on TR3?

59Rob
10-24-2012, 10:34 AM
I feel like a bit of a goof asking this but I can't remember how I did this before, it was a very long time ago. How do you get the trim rings off to get the headlights out of a 59 TR3? Do you rotate it one way or another or pry it somehow?

Geo Hahn
10-24-2012, 10:53 AM
On my 59 I pull out the bottom edge. Once it is off you'll be able to refresh your memory as to what exactly holds it on there.

Prying may work but risks damage to the paint, etc -- better to get something to hook behind it and yank. There is a specific tool for this though I have never used one. Parhaps mine are tired but it doesn't take a lot fo force to free up the lower lip then remove.

TR3driver
10-24-2012, 11:01 AM
Mine were apparently a lot tighter than Geo's, so I've always used the tool (which when used properly doesn't touch the body). You can make your own (mine is from a recycled hacksaw blade with the teeth ground off) or reproductions are available from the usual suspects.

59Rob
10-24-2012, 11:29 AM
Thanks guys, not worried about the paint, it needs new paint anyway, not that I'm trying to make it worse.