Gliderman8
10-17-2012, 07:29 AM
Moronic comes to mind.

:iagree: That's what CAB's are for... they ease the pain :cheers:

70herald
10-17-2012, 09:35 AM
Moronic comes to mind.

:iagree: That's what CAB's are for... they ease the pain :cheers:
For a Honey Boo Boo sized pain I need something allot stronger than a CAB!

Gliderman8
10-17-2012, 09:37 AM
For a Honey Boo Boo sized pain I need something allot stronger than a CAB!

A plain brown paper bag (with NO HOLES) works wonders :devilgrin:

10-17-2012, 11:42 AM
What have we become?

Troublemaker. :laugh:

(plays across loudspeaker)

"Please stay in line and swiftly follow the swine ahead of you over the cliff" :yesnod:

I enojoy the exsisitence of Honey Boo Boo, she proves me right on several fronts. :whistle:

Interesting how when you get older things are easy to see. One knows a crock when presented. :cheers:

NutmegCT
10-17-2012, 11:56 AM
Sad to think that people actually watch that. And sadder still to think that the network is (was?) TLC. TLC *used to* stand for The Learning Channel.

from Wikipedia:

TLC (formerly the abbreviation for The Learning Channel) is an American cable TV channel which initially focused on educational content, but now caters to an intellectually poorer U.S. demographic with shows like Here Comes Honey Boo Boo.

What have we become, and more important, why did we allow it to happen?

T.

JodyFKerr
10-17-2012, 12:01 PM
At least in Ancient Rome it was gladitorial combat to keep the plebes contented.

I'd rather watch that than the Stay Puffed Marshmallow Man's illegitimate child.

....there is no Dana, only Zuul!

waltesefalcon
10-17-2012, 01:36 PM
It seems this is the direction of American culture, aiming for the lowest common denominator. I remember when TLC had educational programming, The History Channel had history related programming, and reality shows didn't dominate the boob tube (I also remember when they had tubes). Never thought I'd pine for the nineties but it seems like a golden era compared to today.

Gliderman8
10-17-2012, 03:37 PM
I think TLC made a real Boo-Boo when they decided to air that show.

10-17-2012, 03:59 PM
It seems this is the direction of American culture, aiming for the lowest common denominator. I remember when TLC had educational programming,

Errrr, ummm, it aint common fer me...and I live in the south. :whistle:

Guys, it ~is~ educational. the lesson to be learned is, we're surrounded by IDJITS! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

AngliaGT
10-17-2012, 04:41 PM
Sounds like they're owned by the same company that
has the Nascar channel.

- Doug

Sad to think that people actually watch that. And sadder still to think that the network is (was?) TLC. TLC *used to* stand for The Learning Channel.

from Wikipedia:

TLC (formerly the abbreviation for The Learning Channel) is an American cable TV channel which initially focused on educational content, but now caters to an intellectually poorer U.S. demographic with shows like Here Comes Honey Boo Boo.

T.

Basil
10-17-2012, 04:56 PM
Sounds like they're owned by the same company that
has the Nascar channel.

- Doug

Nah, never mind. :crazy:

Basil
10-17-2012, 04:57 PM

T.

If I told you, you likely wouldn't agree with me.

14dna
10-17-2012, 05:07 PM
Billy;
We can't fix stupid, just change the channel.
Bas;
No matter how you try to explain it, someone will degrade your answer, and make a reality show of it.

Dave :savewave:

Basil
10-17-2012, 05:08 PM
Billy;
Bas;
No matter how you try to explain it, someone will degrade your answer, and make a reality show of it.

Dave :savewave:

That's why I'm staying silent.

TR6BILL
10-17-2012, 05:26 PM
Those that watch sports car races watch it for the driving skills.

Those that watch NASCAR watch it for the wrecks!

JodyFKerr
10-17-2012, 05:47 PM
I don't think we're seeing any real societal change here.

The internet &amp; television, for better or worse, has leveled the playing field and given groups we previously wouldn't have encountered a much larger voice in modern telecommunications. What we think of as societal change is merely our lives being invaded by more and more irrelevant crap.

Basil
10-17-2012, 05:48 PM
Uh huh.

AngliaGT
10-18-2012, 12:11 AM
I can't tell you how much it bothers me,that I know
what the original poster was referring to.
I happened to catch something about it on a talk show,
&amp; was repulsed by it.I won't waste my time watching garbage
like that.
We are the country that made Paris Hilton,Whatshername -
Ritchie,&amp; the Kardashions famous.WHY?

- Doug

Sherlock
10-18-2012, 12:28 AM
Never heard of the show (just looked it up), don't think I'd watch one second of it... :lol:

I'll agree that TV standards are deteriorating, A&amp;E no longer does compelling programs just a bunch of reality stuff, how many times have I seen that same episode of Storage Wars? It's only been shown 1,000 times by now... :crazyeyes:

And OLN here in Canada hardly shows any stuff about the outdoors, what does ghost hunting have to do with the outdoors? I could keeping going but I won't...

NutmegCT
10-18-2012, 06:16 AM
FCC Chairman Newton Minow, at the May 9, 1961 annual convention of the National Association of Broadcasters:

He excoriates the industry for its "procession of game shows, violence, audience participation shows, formula comedies about totally unbelievable families, blood and thunder, mayhem, violence, sadism, murder, Western bad men, Western good men, private eyes, gangsters, more violence, and cartoons, and, endlessly, commercials, many screaming, cajoling, and offending, and, most of all, boredom ..."

But take a look at the network (ABC, NBC, CBS) Sunday-Monday evening fall lineup. What a difference from today. You could watch everything with your parents and your children, and not be embarrassed.

70herald
10-18-2012, 06:35 AM
This is why I am glad I don't own a television. Not missing anything.

JPSmit
10-18-2012, 08:04 AM
But take a look at the network (ABC, NBC, CBS) Sunday-Monday evening fall lineup. What a difference from today. You could watch everything with your parents and your children, and not be embarrassed.

Couldn't agree more, but, I feel compelled to make two points.

1. When it comes to TV these days we are really the product not the customer. We can't ever forget that the shows are the fillers in between the commercials and not the other way around.

2. No business model in the world includes the sale of something no one wants. These shows aren't on because TV producers are sick and depraved they are on because there is demand and people watch them which sells ads and brings revenue and gets us back to point #1 above.

Here's why they make Honey Boo Boo:

The series premiere episode attained a 1.6 in the 1849 demographic, attracting 2.2 million viewers.[2] The series was one of TLC's highest-rated shows in its first season.[3] The fourth episode, airing on the third night of the 2012 Republican National Convention, attracted almost 3 million viewers and scored a 1.3 rating with those 18-49, the highest rating that night with the age group of any cable program.

Like it or not, we have seen the enemy.....

NutmegCT
10-18-2012, 08:39 AM
&lt;snip&gt;

And the enemy is ... staring at us in the mirror.

Public entertainment for fun, instead of education for improvement. If we keep buying tickets, the entertainment will continue. If we keep ignoring what our youth are taught ...

sigh

T.

JPSmit
10-18-2012, 08:42 AM
&lt;snip&gt;

Public entertainment for fun, instead of education for improvement. If we keep buying tickets, the entertainment will continue. If we keep ignoring what our youth are taught ...

sigh

T.

Bread and Circuses my friend - sigh indeed.

10-18-2012, 10:55 AM
1. When it comes to TV these days we are really the product not the customer.

You are more correct than you know. Without going down a rabbit hole, media is the largest tool of social engineering. There are reasons certain shows are on and it's not sales. Well, it's not sales in a monitary sense but we are being sold a bill of goods none the less.

Try this experiement. Start watching TV with the sound off and just look at the images. What message is it conveying? Watch it with the sound on and look at the lead characters of different shows, what do they have in common?

There is a reason Kim Kardashian is bigger than Paris Hilton now even though Kim started off as Paris' friend...and they both became "famous" for the same reason.

....and it's all a distraction to keep the hamsters on the wheel of commerce. It tells them what they want and how to live.

....iphone 6 anyone????

(plays across loudspeaker)

"Please stay in line and swiftly follow the swine ahead of you over the cliff" :yesnod:

:whistle:

10-19-2012, 05:32 PM
Ahahahahaha! I just ran across the Kimmel clip. :laugh:

That's gonna leave a mark. :eeek:

I'd rather have bye bye birdie mad at me. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

That's just too funny.

Prediction: America sits and watches the making of a strip club day girl. :whistle:

Mark my words boys and girls, mark my words. That's exactly the way it's gonna go down :wink:

10-20-2012, 12:08 PM
I don't think we're seeing any real societal change here.

Actually Jody we are. I just watched the Boo Boo clip posted in the other thread and it make more sense now than ever.

It's really simple, follow the money. Look at who now has the most power, top media coverage and money in Hollywood. We're being sold a mindset, a paradigm shift if you will.

Yeah, we're seein' a side that we wouldn't have before, but ~why~ are we being shown it more and more? :whistle:

DrEntropy
10-20-2012, 12:14 PM
&lt;snip&gt;

sigh

T.

Too true. Walt Kelly was correct. :wink:

coldplugs
10-20-2012, 12:35 PM

:thankyousign:

My first exposure to "HoneyBooBoo" was BCF.

There's an easy solution to all this...

Basil
10-20-2012, 01:30 PM

sigh

T.

You'd be a big hit at a party Tom! LOL! Goodness, I'd not want to live in a world where there was no "entertainment" for fun. That's the definition of entertainment! The problem, as I see it, is not that there is entertainment on television but rather how base the "entertainment" has become - catering to the lowest common denominator. Television can be both educational AND entertaining, and I wouldn't want it any other way. After a 60 hour week pouring over data and writing test reports, I sometimes like to come home and just be entertained. Sure, I watch mostly news and current-events based programming, but sometimes, I just want to watch some mindless fun. I think we all need that escape sometimes.

Basil
10-20-2012, 01:30 PM

:thankyousign:

My first exposure to "HoneyBooBoo" was BCF.

There's an easy solution to all this...

Right - exercise CHOICE!

Mickey Richaud
10-20-2012, 02:32 PM
but sometimes, I just want to watch some mindless fun. I think we all need that escape sometimes.

That's why I spend so much time here! :devilgrin:

10-20-2012, 03:18 PM
Kelly likes the Law and order type shows. problem is, I hear " Dant Dant" too much in one night. I miss the programs of the 70's and early 80's like M.A.S.H, Cheers and such.

DrEntropy
10-20-2012, 11:43 PM
"Genuine metal with an antique dome!"

How quaint.

waltesefalcon
10-20-2012, 11:55 PM
Doc, I saw that commercial today.

10-20-2012, 11:55 PM
"Genuine metal with an antique dome!"

How quaint.

:confuse:

weewillie
10-21-2012, 08:02 AM
but sometimes, I just want to watch some mindless fun. I think we all need that escape sometimes.

Thats why I watch the beards :yesnod:

Basil
10-21-2012, 08:47 AM

Ouch!

10-21-2012, 11:25 AM

Ouch!

Yeah, the top guy looks like a real Joker. :jester:

AngliaGT
10-21-2012, 07:03 PM
Tom,

I was just noticing,while looking through the
evening TV listings,that there's NOTHING on anymore that is
worth watching.Every time a good show comes along - "Burn-
Notice","Touch","The Finder",etc,seems that they're never on
anymore,or pre-empted by a sports show,etc.
We cut back to basic cable,as the cost was getting
out-of-hand.They give us junk that we never watch,but can't get
Discovery,History,etc.,but we do get a Spanish channel (or three).

- Doug

FCC Chairman Newton Minow, at the May 9, 1961 annual convention of the National Association of Broadcasters:

He excoriates the industry for its "procession of game shows, violence, audience participation shows, formula comedies about totally unbelievable families, blood and thunder, mayhem, violence, sadism, murder, Western bad men, Western good men, private eyes, gangsters, more violence, and cartoons, and, endlessly, commercials, many screaming, cajoling, and offending, and, most of all, boredom ..."