PDA

View Full Version : Install l-t-d fasteners on new tonneau - Tips?

Lbp
10-14-2012, 03:31 AM
I purchased new tonneau and hood stick covers for my '58 TR3A. They are "british vinyl" and come with a bag of lift-the-dot fasteners for me to install. I've poked around, but haven't found much on this subject. Does anyone have any tips about installing the fasteners on the covers? I did get the hole punch tool.

Thanks, Bill

TR4nut
10-14-2012, 03:50 AM
Bill

I just finished that exact exercise on my 59 3A about 2 weeks ago.

I think i did find some advice on this forum that worked well. Take your time, and mark a centerline on both car and covers. Start from the middle and work you way out. Put the covers in the sun so they are warm and stretchable. For the tonneau keep working between back and front.

The punch makes it much easier.

vivdownunder
10-14-2012, 06:16 AM
The punch only makes the center hole and usually a craft knife or scalpel is needed to jab tiny slits for the 4 x fixing tabs. Depends on the tonneau material.

Viv.

Kleykamp
10-14-2012, 06:46 AM
What they said..plus you can use a soap stone to mark the point for the holes.

Gordon_Dedrick
10-14-2012, 07:58 AM
Plus.....leave the vinyl out in the sun to soften it and make it easier to stretch. Work center out, front to back, side to side, one snap at a time.
Gordon

Geo Hahn
10-14-2012, 09:01 AM
The punch only makes the center hole...

I've never used one but apparently some punches do the complete set of holes. Wish I had bought one 30 years ago, but I still use the hole punch and Xacto knife.

https://i.ebayimg.com/t/HooVer-Common-Sense-Hand-Punch-Lift-the-Dot-Hand-Hole-Punch-/00/s/MjM3WDM3NQ==/$(KGrHqZHJEEE-nbG5wqKBP)pFHrZPw~~60_12.GIF

CJD
10-14-2012, 10:16 AM
I mounted the whole cover first using just the center holes stretched over the studs. This allowed me to make sure I liked the fit right (the size of the dots covers small mistakes in the hole location).

If you then press the lift-a-dots down snuggly, they leave an impression on the vinyl. I finally slit the vinyl at the impressions using an exacto. The tool looks pretty neat...it looks like the cover has to come off the car each time to use it, though.

John

BobbyD
10-14-2012, 08:10 PM
If you've got the $$$$ or can make a club purchase, Sailrite carries a line of professional tools (https://www.sailrite.com/Lift-The-Dot-Cutting-Punch-for-Sockets-Snapmaster)for installing them.

Lbp
10-14-2012, 10:16 PM
Thanks for all the good advice. I've already purchased the above-pictured punch from Moss.

Bill