PDA

View Full Version : Insult on insult!!!

DrEntropy
09-22-2012, 05:31 PM
Just actually ~listened~ to a "SMART" car advert.

It says the foolish thing has a <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 17pt">TRITIUM</span></span></span> "Safety Cell"...

Just how *&amp;^% gullible are we supposed to be???

TOC
09-22-2012, 05:35 PM
They know from watching the major networks just how gullible voters are, so why naught?
Heck and begorrah, this is the answer to the Popular Mechanics projection of atomic power vehicles they flaunted 50 years ago!

Now you'll see the greenies proclaiming how their new green cars have Tritium fuel cells, without a blinking clue as to what they are talking aboooooot.

Mickey Richaud
09-22-2012, 05:35 PM
And "tritium" and "safety" are related... how?

DrEntropy
09-22-2012, 05:39 PM
I want a handful of "CAUTION! HIGH RADIATION!" bumper stickers. With the International warning sign on 'em to surreptitiously plaster on every one I come across!!

DrEntropy
09-22-2012, 05:48 PM
Mebbe a "vehicle wrap"?!?

Basil
09-22-2012, 06:00 PM
Perhaps someone should invent a car that runs on Cheese, because

<span style="font-size: 17pt"><span style="color: #009900"><span style="font-weight: bold">I LIKE CHEESE!</span></span></span>

Gliderman8
09-22-2012, 06:07 PM
On a positive side doc you can see them coming and get out of their way :smile:

DrEntropy
09-22-2012, 06:11 PM
Apparently.

A cheesebox is a cheesebox no matter th' livery. :wink:

Come to think on it, I've seen those things in black and yellow paint schemes!

I think we're on to something here... a clandestine effort to POISON us all with radioactive isotopes running around onna streets!!!

:devilgrin: :jester:

TOC
09-22-2012, 06:13 PM
If it's got a tailpipe, then Depleted Tritium comes out!

DrEntropy
09-22-2012, 06:27 PM
I think all coming out of the tailpipe is Depleted Cranium...

DrEntropy
09-22-2012, 06:52 PM
SILLY ME!!! I listen'd werry-werry ~carefully~ to that ad again...

The voice-over distinctly tells us it is "Triti-UN" in there. We're SAVED!!! :smirk:

09-22-2012, 07:06 PM
I've got some tritium here. Helps me solve problems at night. Believe me Doc, for guys like us, tritium is yer friend :wink:

DrEntropy
09-22-2012, 07:24 PM
I am HIGHLY biased toward CESIUM.

...for reasons I'll not go into here...

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-size: 23pt">PRAISE CESIUM!!</span></span>

09-22-2012, 07:29 PM
That's just it, with tritium, you cesium a lot more easium to berium. :laugh:

I can't afford cesium and stay married. I'd love to though.

Basil
09-22-2012, 07:35 PM

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-size: 23pt">PRAISE CESIUM!!</span></span>

Rhymes with <span style="color: #006600"><span style="font-size: 20pt">CHEESIUM!</span></span>

09-22-2012, 07:45 PM

Rhymes with <span style="color: #006600"><span style="font-size: 20pt">CHEESIUM!</span></span>

:lol:

You almost owed me a new laptop.

DrEntropy
09-22-2012, 08:12 PM
BAH....

v
v
v
v

v

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 23pt">RUTABAGA!</span></span></span>

Darwin
09-22-2012, 08:38 PM
The print ad I googled says tridium not trituim. What a difference a letter makes. Sounds close but no cigar. No idea what tridium is but mayhaps is different

Basil
09-22-2012, 08:42 PM
How about Rutabaga with cheese?

https://www.home-ec101.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Top-with-cheese.jpg

Darwin
09-22-2012, 08:44 PM
YUCK!!!!!!

Banjo
09-22-2012, 09:17 PM
makes me think of this......

https://www.youtube.com/v/AcS3NOQnsQMNOQnsQM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

DART
09-22-2012, 10:41 PM
No No, don't waste good cheese!

AngliaGT
09-23-2012, 12:11 AM
????? - IS that anything like Chevron with F310?
Shell with Nitrate?
What are we talking about???

- Doug

DrEntropy
09-23-2012, 07:36 AM
Mostly about what used to be referred to as" Madison Avenue", Doug.

And I thought Shell was hawking <span style="font-style: italic">nitrogen</span> as their star additive.

The "Truth in Advertizing" thing gone for a chop.
Darwin went to a print ad and we have now a good answer to the riddle.

On the "official" website they have: "<span style="font-style: italic">tridion</span> safety cell" in print. Say it fast three times and it still sounds like tritium to me. :smirk:

...and another good reason to stay well away from the silly things.

BTW: Who wants to bet the voice-over changes to: "TRI-dee-on" sometime soon?

hilsideser
09-23-2012, 06:37 PM

AngliaGT
09-23-2012, 11:50 PM
Ever read the hype in modern car ads?
Just HOW stupid are people?

- Doug

TOC
09-24-2012, 12:04 AM
I don't know for sure...but they're buying FIATs again after the last fiatsco.

DrEntropy
09-24-2012, 05:37 AM
And the shill hawking "The Olde Brooklyn Lantern"... in the narrative, the talent proclaims it to be made of "GENUINE METAL".

WoW! I figger'd that stuff was either outlawed or sooo rare and expensive they'd call it Unobtanium. :crazy:

MikeP
09-24-2012, 10:34 AM
Speaking of Fiats, new commercial I saw shows them driving off piers, cliffs, etc into the ocean. Next shot, they're driving out of the water ontoa beach in the US. Just to be sure everyone understands across the bottom it says, "simulation, do not attempt". Personally, I would never have known I couldn't drive off a 100 ft cliff and 3500 miles across the bottom of the ocean without them telling me it wasn't real....

09-24-2012, 11:00 AM
Yeah, but there is some truth to the Smart car ad. It is VERY UNcar!

waltesefalcon
09-24-2012, 01:04 PM
"I would never have known I couldn't drive off a 100 ft cliff and 3500 miles across the bottom of the ocean without them telling me it wasn't real...."

Everyone knows that you have to have a Lotus Esprit S1 to be able to go under water and drive up on a beach.

sd80mac7204
09-24-2012, 01:36 PM
"I would never have known I couldn't drive off a 100 ft cliff and 3500 miles across the bottom of the ocean without them telling me it wasn't real...."

Everyone knows that you have to have a Lotus Esprit S1 to be able to go under water and drive up on a beach.

"The name is Bond, James Bond." :cowboy:

Silverghost
09-24-2012, 10:27 PM
Speaking of Fiats, new commercial I saw shows them driving off piers, cliffs, etc into the ocean. Next shot, they're driving out of the water ontoa beach in the US. Just to be sure everyone understands across the bottom it says, "simulation, do not attempt". Personally, I would never have known I couldn't drive off a 100 ft cliff and 3500 miles across the bottom of the ocean without them telling me it wasn't real....

But the coyote and the road runner do it all the time, you mean I can't run off a cliff and walk away at the bottom??!! Next you'll tell me there is no Easter bunny or tooth fairy!! :cryin:

JPSmit
09-24-2012, 10:45 PM

Kind of an interesting commercial if you factor in Fiat's traditional relationship with rust. certainly accounts for it.

09-24-2012, 11:06 PM
[quote=MikeP] Next you'll tell me there is no Easter bunny or tooth fairy!! :cryin:

If there was, I'd vote for 'em as they both have a great track record for delievering what's promised. :thumbsup:

...and DAT aint aimed for, about or at NOBODY! :wink: jus' da truf... :whistle:

Was jus' tinkin' 'bout dat da udda day Cap'. :yesnod:

MikeP
09-25-2012, 10:46 AM
Kind of an interesting commercial if you factor in Fiat's traditional relationship with rust. certainly accounts for it.

I always though Fiats were made from compressed rust just to save on the conversion time from steel to rust...

dipblu
11-04-2012, 02:01 AM
They want you to confuse "tritium" with "titanium" which is aircraft metal and is very, very strong.

DrEntropy
11-04-2012, 06:36 AM
They want you to confuse "tritium" with "titanium" which is aircraft metal and is very, very strong.

More than one A-10 driver will agree.

Well, "tridion" is what the company touts. Hard to correlate that with "titanium" in pronunciation methinks.

Titanium has many more applications than just aircraft parts. Porsche has even made lug nuts with it. :wink:

I've a "raw" piece of it here on my desk for a paperweight, too.

Billm
11-04-2012, 08:44 AM
Lots of Boeing planes have titanium "hard points", engine attach points etc and the new 787 has a huge number of titanium fasteners to eliminate corrosion.
BillM

11-04-2012, 09:13 AM
Porsche has even made lug nuts with it. :wink:

I've a "raw" piece of it here on my desk for a paperweight, too.

That's interesting. The 360 Modena the the team had used aluminum ones. Weren't cheap either, $100 a pop.

Dad told me of this magical metal when he worked "in the field" as a pipfitter. He said the stuff they used costs $1000 an inch (80's money) and was tougher than anything he'd ever seen; sad you could gring on it all day and barely touch it.

Th' stuff's retention properties are incredible too. I have a wedding ring made of it. :laugh:

judow
11-04-2012, 10:19 AM
I don't know for sure...but they're buying FIATs again after the last fiatsco.

Good one. Comment, NOT car.

TOC
11-04-2012, 12:22 PM
And yet....I recall a Canadian TSB or some such on loss of a helicopter gearbox oil pressure....due primarily, if I recall, to titanium gearbox studs snapping......

DrEntropy
11-04-2012, 01:47 PM
It can be brittle. Wish I had kept some of the photomicrography of the various materials. Did a stint in a metallurgical lab as the photographer for a while. I have a couple Charpy and tensile test pieces of different metals. Neat stuff!

BTW: If you take a grinder to it, it sparks brilliant WHITE. Steels of various grades can be separated with a "spark test"... hit it with a grinding wheel and "read" the way the sparks look. Color, pattern, the way the "branches" occur.

11-04-2012, 03:18 PM
And yet....I recall a Canadian TSB or some such on loss of a helicopter gearbox oil pressure....due primarily, if I recall, to titanium gearbox studs snapping......

Fat chance of that in my case. Couldn't chase her away with a stick..she'd come a'runnin' if I ran too. :laugh:

TOC
11-04-2012, 04:32 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cougar_Helicopters_Flight_91

warning....above link can be somewhat graphic

TSB identified a broken titanium stud as part of the gearbox oil filter assembly. Sikorsky had previously recommended that the titanium stud be replaced with a steel stud within one year or 1,250 flight hours of a 28 January 2009 Alert Service Bulletin, following a total loss of oil and emergency landing in Australia in August 2008.[22] On 21 March Les Dorr, a spokesman for the FAA, indicated that it would release an Airworthiness Directive calling for the replacement of the studs on other S-92A aircraft, most likely on Monday 23 March, but that the Directive would apply only to US-registered helicopters.[23] The FAA had issued previous Airworthiness Directives AD 2005-12-03, AD 2006-11-14, and AD 2006-15-19 for problems with the main gearbox of that type.[1] The FAA had also issued Special Airworthiness Information Bulletin (SAIB) number SW-09-19 Sikorsky S92A Main Gearbox Emergency Procedures dated 19 March 2009. The SAIB indicated that a recent procedural change, Sikorsky Safety Advisory (SSA) SSA-S92-08-006, dated 26 September 2008 may not have been appropriate and that it had not been approved. The European Aviation Safety Agency had already acted to highlight this problem.

Late on 23 March Sikorsky issued a news release indicating that it had furnished replacement studs and tools to all operators and that 50 of 91 aircraft had been reworked already.[24] The FAA later grounded flights until the parts had been replaced,[25] issuing Emergency Airworthiness Directive 2009-07-53 dated 23 March that required the replacement of the studs before further flight.

11-04-2012, 05:09 PM
Th' stuff's retention properties are incredible too. I have a wedding ring made of it.

Fat chance of that in my case. Couldn't chase her away with a stick..she'd come a'runnin' if I ran away too. :laugh:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cougar_Helicopters_Flight_91

warning....above link can be somewhat graphic

TSB identified a broken titanium stud as part of the gearbox oil filter assembly. Sikorsky had previously recommended that the titanium stud be replaced with a steel stud within one year

...and her mother prob'ly reccommended I be replaced by ANY stud... :laugh:

Sikorsky don't know nuthin' 'bout divorsky! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

:jester:

11-04-2012, 05:14 PM
Terrible to heat about those guys.

That's one reason why I don't trust any aircraft with the glide ratio of a brick.

PC
11-04-2012, 08:12 PM
It can be brittle. ....
As can steel or aluminum or most any metal. It depends on the alloy and the heat treatment.

Titanium is great stuff. But it's weaker than steel. Replace a steel fastener with a the same piece in titanium and it won't withstand the same stresses.

What makes titanium desirable isn't its strength, but its strength to weight ratio, allowing parts that are both strong and light (if appropriately designed).

Sadly, those studs were apparently underdesigned.

TOC
11-04-2012, 11:35 PM
Apparently.

11-05-2012, 12:40 AM
Apparently.