PDA

View Full Version : Help: quick hub torque questions

Willie_P
09-02-2012, 01:41 PM
hi-

can someone real-quick provide me with the proper torque values (I was looking in the workshop manual and did not immediately see these):

+wire wheel spline-drive studs to hub face (front and rear, the actual studs (four per wheel, I think) and special nuts)

+the rear hub/bearing carrier to the axle housing flange(6 bolts per side that thread directly into the rear hub)

+the propshaft flanges where they mount to the tail-end of the gearbox and to the rear pinion flange (four bolts per flange).

thanks! -wes

TR3driver
09-02-2012, 01:59 PM
For the splined adapters, there is a service note that says to tighten them to 65 ftlb, then drive approx 10 miles and check again.

Bearing caps 34-36 ftlb

I don't know of a spec for the flanges, but the special bolts seem pretty hard, so 'standard' torque would be somewhere between 40 ftlb (Grade 5) and 60 ftlb (Grade 8). It's really tough to get in there with a torque wrench anyway, so I just tighten them as tight as I can with the box-end wrenches I use.

FWIW, I also use 'Stover' nuts on the flanges, instead of the factory Nylocs. I found that even brand new Nylocs would work loose in a few thousand miles.

Willie_P
09-03-2012, 07:32 AM
Randall thanks on all accounts.

maybe I will drill and wire the propshaft flange bolts??

TR3driver
09-03-2012, 01:23 PM
Worth a try, I guess, but seems like a lot of extra work. I just bought a box of "oval lock with conical top" nuts from MMC (https://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/118/3199) , which should be a lifetime supply.