PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Disneyland

AngliaGT
09-02-2012, 01:59 AM
We came,we saw, we left.....
My Wonderful Wife decided that we needed to
let our 7-1/2 year old Granddaughter go to
Disneyland.I finally gave in,& went with them.
A few observations........
* I hope I NEVER see another monstrous stroller
ever again (THE SUV's of the Disney World).
* Why do people HAVE to walk side-by-side,when
there are 4+ people together?
* There are many very polite people,but there
are many rude people - can we get rid of the rude ones?
* One quote kept coming back to me - "Welcome to America-
Now speak English".Many people refuse to speak
our language,while being citizens here - why?
* Why does high-technology break down so often?
we had many rides down,do to failures.

We went to see the "Fantasmick"(sp) show in
Disneyland Tuesday.After waiting 45 minutes,we were
told that it was "Only for annual pass holders",&
that it would be @ 9 PM on Wed.
We found a place on Wed.,& 8 PM.After waiting
about 45 minutes,were told that there was no show on-
Wed.

* On Thursday,I met up with an MG owner in Anaheim,& got
my British Car "fix".
*We left on Friday - so I missed "Cars & Coffee"

* Saw almost nothing on the roads,or the trip home -
where are all of the cool cars?

- Doug

Banjo
09-02-2012, 09:31 AM
Jeesh Doug,
We did the whirlwind tour of Disney Florida about 3 years ago. All the Disney parks, and Universal in one week. I'm not a Theme-park guy, I far more enjoyed the day we spent on an almost deserted beach in Sebastian, but I have to admit we had a great time at the parks. I did notice the stroller infestation. That was interesting. The one thing I found strange after a while was the soundtracks that changed as you moved to different areas of the parks.

waltesefalcon
09-02-2012, 10:20 AM
I went to Disneyland back in 86 or 87 and had a blast. We didn't have to wait in any lines because my father sprained his ankle and was on crutches, and I don't remember any of the rides we wanted to go on being shut down, or open to VIPs only. That said I think the Spruce Goose and the Queen Mary were a lot cooler.

bgbassplyr
09-02-2012, 11:05 PM
All you have to do to go to the front of the line is say "I'm disabled". Instant access. The law does not allow that statement to be questioned, nor is proof of any disability required.

Being on crutches (see Walters post above) probably eliminates the need to state the obvious.

AngliaGT
09-02-2012, 11:29 PM
Jim,

That's just not right - if you're NOT disabled.
We had a group of about 6 Asians,all in motorized-
transportation,with no visible signs of physical problems.
I hope that they weren't "playing it up" to get to the front
of the line.I hate dishonesty.
I was also irritated by the LOUD music all around.
Did I also mention that it was very hot most of the time?

- Doug

bgbassplyr
09-03-2012, 01:31 AM
Doug,

I didn't mean to say or imply that it was 'right', only to illustrate a way to get to the head of the line.

My wife is in charge of all of the elevators at Bank of America stadium, and the elevators seem to have "curative powers", because 'disabled folks' get on at the ground floor and by the time they reach the 3rd, 4th, or 5th floors, they are healed of all malady's.

No, it's not the right thing to do, but it is done by many people.

aerog
09-03-2012, 07:21 AM
All you have to do to go to the front of the line is say "I'm disabled". Instant access.

Nope - doesn't work like that anymore, at least in most cases, and at least at Disney World.

If you're in a wheelchair, scooter, on crutches, whatever - and go up to the castmember manning a 60-minute line, you'll be given a pass cut into the front of the line 60 minutes from the time you showed up. Do that at a line 30 minutes long and you'll get a pass for 30 minutes later, etc.

In other words, you <span style="font-style: italic">still have to wait</span> the same as everyone else, you just don't have to stand in line.

For years I would stand in long lines only to see someone in a scooter (who may or may not be legitimately "disabled") with all their extended family following eagerly behind so they could jump the line. Now they show up and have to wait like everyone else.

Rumor has it that newer ride queues will be designed to accommodate the scooters and wheelchairs so they also will go through the lines like everyone else. I really haven't seen that though.

As for everything else, there are some lousy times to visit parks and there are great times to visit parks. Generally though, I find it's hard to have an enjoyable time if you have a negative outlook on everything.

09-03-2012, 07:47 AM
can we get rid of the rude ones?

Yes, but there may be jail time involved. :laugh:

"Welcome to America-

Here's something from the guy in south MS that'll blow your mind: it's un American to expect people to speak English in America. :yesnod:

While I find it annoying and prefer to be around similar folks who speak the same language, you can't expect a country of immigrants from different countries to all speak the same language.

They should make the same effort to learn English as we should to accept them in their native tongue. :wink:

Being "an American" is decidely un-American. Matter of fact, in order to be an American, ya gotta be from somewhere else. :crazy: :wink:

Don't forget, a house divded against itself cannot stand...

America's enemies only wish to sever joint and marrow...

...as we can only be defeated from within :wink:

Look around you my friend.

As the sun rises in the east and sets in the west...

as budding plants say spring is near...

so shall this plague be... :wink:

NutmegCT
09-03-2012, 08:29 AM
I first went to Disneyland a little earlier than most of you guys.

Here's an interesting home movie from 1957 - there's a gazillion things different from today. Like the number of people, and how they're dressed. Wow.

https://www.youtube.com/v/v3Vcr2Zc-Ekr2Zc-Ek" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

JPSmit
09-03-2012, 08:30 AM
Rumor has it that newer ride queues will be designed to accommodate the scooters and wheelchairs so they also will go through the lines like everyone else. I really haven't seen that though.

They have them now at the Dumbo ride in the Magic Kingdom - there is a huge open play space and families are given pagers like what you get in restaurants. the kids can play, the parents can sit and when it is time to get on, the pager lights up.

JPSmit
09-03-2012, 08:35 AM
* One quote kept coming back to me - "Welcome to America-

- Doug

Don't forget that at a place like Disney many of the non English speakers will be visitors from overseas. This time of year (and into October) the Disney world is full of young people from Argentina and Brazil. On the day of the hurricane the park was filled with Canadians and Brits. (Yes I know, they sort of speak English :whistle: ) It is a world destination and reflects it.

aeronca65t
09-03-2012, 08:51 AM
Lin and I did a "reconnaissance" mission to Disney Florida two years ago.

We did it because we know we'll bring the grand kids there at some point, and we wanted to know what it was like (I'd been there in the early 80s, but not since).

We had a great time and really enjoyed it. When our ~four grand kids~ (https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/aeronca65t/mccabe/553651_4318992423815_1281665915_n.jpg) are older, we'll definitely take them.

Since they're still very young, we took them for a week at the Jersey Shore this year and still had a terrific time.

09-03-2012, 09:07 AM
This time of year (and into October) the Disney world is full of young people from Argentina and Brazil.

Ahhhh, no doubt "youth" sent in to address the afformentioned rude people. :whistle:

"Vhere are your tiketz?"... :devilgrin:

"Ve have a line vor you to stand in"... :laugh:

Banjo
09-03-2012, 09:27 AM
We went in October. The lines were very short. Most rides we just walked through the mazes and got right on. There was a lot of forign language being spoken. I took it as part of the experience.
Ya gotta remember thet Disney is one of the biggest international tourist destinations in the U.S. I'd bet 95% of forign speaking folks at the park are here on vacation, and not U.S. residents. I hope they woulden't expect me to learn their language just so I could visit their country for a week.
I wonder what they think of their countries areas at Epcot?

NutmegCT
09-03-2012, 09:43 AM
... I'd bet 95% of forign speaking folks at the park are here on vacation, and not U.S. residents. I hope they woulden't expect me to learn their language just so I could visit their country for a week...

Agreed. And I wonder how many languages you hear at Disneyland Paris (the most visited attraction in Europe)? More than French I'd bet.

T.

aeronca65t
09-03-2012, 09:54 AM
.......There was a lot of foreign language being spoken. I took it as part of the experience.

That's exactly how I saw it.

coldplugs
09-03-2012, 09:54 AM
What did your granddaughter think of it?

TR6BILL
09-03-2012, 12:30 PM
I first went to Disneyland a little earlier than most of you guys.

You beat me, I went in 57. I still have an E-ticket, somewhere.........

TOC
09-03-2012, 01:44 PM
I went in 56.....and before we went that time, just after it opened (55?).
Drove down West street (No Disneyland Hotel, 2-lane straight road) looking east until we saw the TWA Rocket to the Moon (no Matterhorn), then turned left on the next street, Katella, watched for the HUGE saluting, lit and rotating Union 76 Serviceman on the corner, turned left into the parking lot.
Watched it grow over the years, last time I went (20 or more years ago), when I found the "short" lines were really all they let you see, the line disappeared into a HUGE covered area with hundreds of folks queued up in line, I quit. Never been back since.

AngliaGT
09-03-2012, 07:04 PM
I was actually referring to all of the annoncements
being made in English &amp; Spanish - not what language people
were speaking while there.
Our Granddaughter enjoyed herself,but during the long,
hot days,she had her moments.

- Doug

aerog
09-04-2012, 07:08 AM

They have them now at the Dumbo ride in the Magic Kingdom - there is a huge open play space and families are given pagers like what you get in restaurants. the kids can play, the parents can sit and when it is time to get on, the pager lights up.

Yup, I forgot about that one. My concern is the proliferation of "scooters" (er "personal transportation devices"). The strollers used to be an annoyance but I think people have become a little more polite with them. Five years ago they'd regularly use strollers as a battering ram to help push through crowds, but now it's (honest now) not as bad.

The electric scooters/carts/PTDs though, sometimes they're downright scary. It's something to be standing in a group only to have someone racing toward you on a scooter beeping their horn for you to get out of their way. It doesn't happen often, but people being people occasionally someone just doesn't think when they're riding them.

I'm not too eager to enjoy having them bump into me constantly while standing in lines :smile:

So far Disney has thankfully warded off Segways in the parks, but yet in <span style="font-style: italic">another</span> lawsuit the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals is reviewing the situation again.

aerog
09-04-2012, 07:20 AM
Here's an interesting home movie from 1957 - there's a gazillion things different from today. Like the number of people, and how they're dressed. Wow.

My first was '71. Florida in '88. Things change constantly though. That's sometimes scary, sometimes fun :laugh:

Disneyland '71 - massive crowds during the parade
https://pix.aerog.com/photos/243476367_LKWyA-M-4.jpg

Speaking of fashions...yeah :smile: . From yesterday:
https://pix.aerog.com/photos/i-gntj3xR/0/M/i-gntj3xR-M.jpg

Mickey Richaud
09-04-2012, 07:32 AM
Speaking of fashions...yeah :smile: . From yesterday:
https://pix.aerog.com/photos/i-gntj3xR/0/M/i-gntj3xR-M.jpg

Well, Scott - not quite worthy of Wal-Mart, but close! :thumbsup:

aerog
09-05-2012, 12:41 PM
I'm not sure even Walmart sells bright yellow Crocs.

Then there's...
https://pix.aerog.com/photos/i-3V3JHp8/3/M/i-3V3JHp8-M.jpg

Mickey Richaud
09-05-2012, 12:53 PM
You're gettin' warmer! :jester:

AngliaGT
09-05-2012, 02:48 PM
Also,to make us feel at home,they had an earthquake
while we were there.The evacuated the rides for twenty
minutes.I heard that it was a 5.0.

- Doug

aerog
09-05-2012, 03:28 PM

https://pix.aerog.com/photos/i-z4GdRP5/0/L/i-z4GdRP5-L.jpg

09-05-2012, 08:58 PM

https://pix.aerog.com/photos/i-z4GdRP5/0/L/i-z4GdRP5-L.jpg

$100 bucks says she smells like that too.

PAUL161
09-06-2012, 07:29 AM
Took the kids to the Florida park not long after it opened and they had a great time. Spent a week there in our RV and Frontier Park campground. It was great for all of us, but I wouldn't go again, I just get no thrill out of park rides and the prices have skyrocketed out of sight. I'd rather spend the money on flying. I have no idea how the average young family today can justify affording it. Oh well, I love restoring old British cars and some people think I'm crazy for that! Come to think of it, they might be right! :jester:

JPSmit
09-06-2012, 07:40 AM

Cast Member - she's supposed to look like that.

NutmegCT
09-06-2012, 07:43 AM
Taking a look at all these posts tells me more about *us* than about Disneyland!

T.

PAUL161
09-06-2012, 07:48 AM

REALLY! We have some people that look like that living around here. I think their from Arkansas. :devilgrin:

aerog
09-06-2012, 10:26 AM
I have no idea how the average young family today can justify affording it.

Nor I, but people start planning for their trips months, even years in advance. They save and plan I guess.

Fortunately they have great deals for Florida residents (and similar deals for California residents). For a little more than a month's hangar rent I get unlimited access to all the parks with free parking and discounts on top of that.

PAUL161
09-06-2012, 01:44 PM
I know most of us do things for our kids that we wouldn't normally do for ourselves and I give people like that credit for their efforts, but it has to be very difficult for some of the less fortunate to put out that much money. To a family of four, that's a lot of money and Disney is just getting richer! Maybe I'm just a little too conservative, not counting British cars of course!! :laugh: PJ

aerog
09-06-2012, 07:07 PM
Disney is making money but they're also our area's largest employer with over 60,000 employees. Considering the hundreds of other companies that feed off of them, I think <span style="font-style: italic">a lot</span> of people are getting richer. Good for them - I hope it continues - and I'll keep visiting :smile:

09-07-2012, 06:15 PM
I have no idea how the average young family today can justify affording it.

I have no idea how a young family can keep the lights lit and food on the table much less clothes and other needs.

I'm glad I don;t have kids cause soomer or later somebody's gonna be had for dinner. :eeek:

PC
09-07-2012, 11:03 PM
https://www.bizarrocomics.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/bz-panel-09-06-12.jpg

DrEntropy
09-08-2012, 08:06 AM
Right after the "opening" of the one here I went, parking lot was still unpaved. No real crowds. Haven't been back since.

Went to Universal a few years ago, curiosity sated.

09-08-2012, 09:57 AM

Who is she? Never seen a Disney character like that before.

JPSmit
09-08-2012, 12:00 PM

Who is she? Never seen a Disney character like that before.

At Disney's Hollywood Studios (formerly MGM) they have Cast Members dressed like Movie directors/actors/understudies/moguls etc. etc. going around the park and performing vignettes that get the guests involved. No particular Disney connection.

coldplugs
09-08-2012, 01:31 PM
Right after the "opening" of the one here I went, parking lot was still unpaved. No real crowds. Haven't been back since.

&lt;snipped&gt;

I was there about the same time. Epcot wasn't there yet etc.

"It's a small world after all..."

<span style="font-style: italic">That</span> was there and I still can't get that song out of my head.