PDA

View Full Version : someone is trying to sell my car

tr8todd
08-27-2012, 11:45 AM
Saturday I posted a TR8 for sale on Boston Craigslist. Sunday Morning I get a message thu CL from a buyer interested in the car wanting my phone number. Says he is near, not nearby, just near. I received the message at 9:19AM but the message has a tag saying sent from iphone at 6:19AM. Three hours difference, I'm thinking Cali - near? Whatever, I send the phone number. Today I get a message from CL saying my post has been flagged pending verification of location. I'm confused. After reading the detail, I come across that the add being flagged is on San Fransico CL and not Boston. I check the Boston add and all is well. Anybody see the add on SF CL before is was pulled? I'm curious what it looked like. I'm betting asking for my phone number was just a way to get my email address. Here is a link to the valid Boston add.

https://boston.craigslist.org/sob/cto/3229658719.html

hondo402000
08-27-2012, 11:52 AM
I think craigs list has turned out to be nothing but a spam website and I will never answer ads or post anything, I answered a ad a few days ago and within an hour one of my accounts on another site sent me a message that my account had been frozen and had to call them to get it activated because I was sending spam mail, seems the ad I answered got into my sent box and sent out spam mail to all of the address's

NO MORE CRAIGS LIST

I would use auto trader

Hondo

CJD
08-27-2012, 01:33 PM
I've said it before...in this day and age they can do much more with your e-mail than your phone number. Best to just use your phone on Craig's. The worst they can do is crank call you, but I don't answer my phone anymore anyway.

John

BillyB62
08-28-2012, 07:08 AM
My Buddy was looking to by a Barracuda a little more than a month ago (yeah, can't sway him over to the dark side ;-) ) and he answered an ad for one which cost $8500 in either Rhode Island or Massachusetts. He spoke to the guy and was told he already had an offer. Still searching, the same car was posted in California for $10,500 about a week later.

Its sounding like someone was trying to flip the car and make a quick profit.

cheseroo
08-28-2012, 11:55 AM
While you aren't the target of the scam, it is a scam and your ad is being used to lure in victims. Post the link to the ad here and ask the community to flag the ad as "spam". The ad will go away. My brother has a rental beach house and this type of ad is worse of a problem on a vacation rental than a car because people don't find it unusual to send a check in advance for deposits on vacation homes. People show up at the house to discover they have no place to stay and are out their deposit. To keep from having a doorstep full of irate vacationers he set up an automated search to find these ads, mark them as spam and then send the ad link to other friends to mark as spam. The ads go away pretty quick. You can blame CL but this problem can and does exist anywhere classified ads exist. I'm not sure how much room any of us have to complain about a medium that costs us not a dime to use but we expect it to make money for us.