PDA

View Full Version : TR6 TR6 Top Installation

FA Gordon
03-13-2005, 01:29 PM
As I eagerly await the arrival of a new top for the TR6, I thought I might do some mental prep work ahead of time. I printed Roger Bolicks instructions from vtr.org. Just wondering if there are any other sources of info on top installs out there or if anyone has any tips, etc. Thanks in advance for your advice. I enjoy reading the forum quite a bit.

tr6web
03-13-2005, 07:42 PM
I have a top coming too. My old top frame needs some work...any advice on restoring it? Should I have it sandblasted and painted?

Mark_Gibson
03-14-2005, 12:21 AM
FA,

Having put the 1st top on my TR-6 years ago with less than perfect results, I'd say that it is a very difficult job if you have no previous experience. I consider myself to be pretty mechanicaly inclined, but the whole top installation thing got me baffled. Maybe someone else can provide you sage advice on doing it yourself! Most shops familiar with this type of work charge 3 or 4 hundred dollars, from what I've seen....

Mike: I took my frame and had it stripped and powder coated the correct black color. It cost me 125 dollars and it looks great! Make sure all of the pivot connections aren't loose, and the rivits that hold the header rail onto the frame are tight before you have it coated,
Good luck!
Mark

tr6web
03-14-2005, 11:14 PM
Thanks, Mark...I thought the powder coating thing might the right way to do it. Now, my rivets are not tight and the header actually comes off...is that trouble or repairable?

Mark_Gibson
03-16-2005, 12:21 AM
Mike,

It's repairable, but you definitely don't want that header rail or the hinge points loose. You might look around for a used frame in good shape. You're going to have it blasted and powder coated anyways. They are on Ebay all the time. Good luck.

Mark