PDA

View Full Version : TR6 TR-6 Brake Master Cylinder-Rebuild or Replace ?

JC1
08-23-2012, 01:54 PM
I'd appreciate your thoughts regarding whether to either re-build or replace a BMC. Are some brands of BMC better candidates for rebuilding, or is this just only slightly prolonging (by a few weeks or months) the inevitable replacement with a new BMC ?

Are some BMC repair kits giving better service. ?

I have a brass sleeved BMC ready to rebuild. Do these seem
to give better service life than just rebuilding the original,
given one would expect the brass sleeved unit to have an ID
similar/identical to that of a new BMC.

Thanks

RomanH
08-24-2012, 12:08 AM
The thing to remember with the TR6 master cylinder is that it is of a stepped design. Meaning that it has 2 different inside diameters. If using a stock rebuild kit you have to maintain the original dimensions or the seals will never work. the re builders that I have talked to have wanted more to recondition an old unit that what it costs to buy a new TRW master cylinder. For me it was a no brainer... Buy the new unit.

trrdster2000
08-24-2012, 03:10 AM
I agree, the new ones are only haft the price of ten years ago, that's why most did the rebuild.
Not all kits contain the full monty when you get them and this was also a big pain.

Wayne

airlifter
08-24-2012, 08:25 AM
I rebuilt the MC on my '69 a couple of years ago. It is now leaking. I will go with the new unit.

mgedit
08-24-2012, 09:53 AM
I had my original resleeved and rebuilt by apple hydraulics several years ago. Very happy and no issues to date. Cheers, Mike