PDA

View Full Version : Spin On Oil Filters

JC1
08-23-2012, 12:11 PM
I know this topic has been discussed previously, but would appreciate most up to date ideas regarding the best spin on oil filter for my TR-6. I am currently using a UK brand, but recall several US brands (e.g. Fram P3600 ?), have been identified as possible substitutes.

I understand use of the spin on filter will help prevent "dry starts", when compared with the original canister system. Does one filter offer better protection against oil "bleed down" than the others ?

Thanks.

mgedit
08-23-2012, 12:17 PM
The FRAM P3600 fits my spin-on filter. Here is some information I copied from somewhere quite some time ago. Information is not verified though. Cheers, Mike

Long Oil Filters

Brand Name Part Number
WIX 51516
Mobil-1 M1-209
AC Delco Ultraguard Gold UPFL-400A (same as Mobil-1)
Purolator PurONE PL 20195

Short Oil Filters

Brand Name Part Number
Unipart GFE173
Halfords HOF200
Champion C104
Crosland 529
Motaquip VFL123

Other Possibilities for Short Oil Filters

Brand Name Part Number
Bosch 72129
Purolator L10101 (was PER 101)
AC PF952
Motorcraft FL-313
Wix 51335
Fram PH3512

poolboy
08-23-2012, 12:28 PM
Any spin on filter that cross references with a Fram 3600 will work on the adaptor. As far as which one is best, you can go to the manufactures website and read all the hype why their's is the best. Check out Fram, Bosch, Purolater, Wix, Mobile One, Autolite, STP etc,
Me, I use one of these: the Bosch Premium, the Purolator One, the Fram Tough Guard or the NAPA Gold

MGTF1250Dave
08-23-2012, 12:44 PM
Aloha,

Good suggestions. FYI, I use Napa Gold. They are made by WIX.

Gliderman8
08-23-2012, 12:45 PM
+1 on the NAPA Gold for me. I'm not so fond of the regular Fram filters. Choices, you have choices!

FordFiesta
08-23-2012, 12:47 PM
The "NAPA Gold" series of filters is made by Wix, and seems to be of higher quality than the regular filters. There's a site called something like "Bob is the oil guy" that has looked at filter construction in detail - google it.

While the spin-on conversion might be the thing to avoid dry starts on a TR6, on the TR2-TR4A engines, the filter is vulnerable to rocks being thrown up while on a rally, which can put a hole in the thin metal of a spin-on filter. I was on a rally where this happened to our car, and we were completely unaware of the wounded filter until we drove off the dirt road and saw the leaking oil while eight guys were lifting the front end of the TR2 back up out of the ditch. Going off the road probably saved the engine that day. The original canister may be harder to change, but it's sturdy.

There are many threads on Miata.net and elsewhere about filters and the evils of Fram - though I've used many of them over the years.