PDA

View Full Version : snowball effect.....

Banjo
08-22-2012, 08:25 PM
It all started when I decided the EFI on the Fastback was no good. So I ordered a set of carbs for a replacement. when they got here I realised I needed a mechanical advance distributor and a mechanical fuel pump. So I ordered them. That got it running, but not great, so i decided to upgrade the ignition system . I got an MSD 6A box, and realized I needed a good coil, so I got a blaster SS coil. now It seems I need spiral wound plug wires too......
Every time I get home with a new part I need to spend another $50 on the next thing!
Jeesh!
This car better run like a champ after all this! (Warning... I hear a noise near the infamous cyl 3. I think it'll need a total rebuild soon.)
Anyone got an extra Air-cooled 6100 Dual port hangin around for cheap?

DNK
08-22-2012, 08:26 PM
Should have spent the little money for the FI part

08-22-2012, 08:41 PM
Cheapest motor in the world to build. If it aint smokin', I wouldn't worry about it just yet. Have you torqued the heads and adjusted the valves?

Why do you need wires?

70herald
08-23-2012, 12:35 AM
That got it running, but not great, so i decided to upgrade the ignition system . I got an MSD 6A box, and realized I needed a good coil, so I got a blaster SS coil. now It seems I need spiral wound plug wires too......

Ummm I think you should concentrate on getting the Fuel /Air ratio and everything else working properly before you start modifying the ignition......

Unless you are planning on drag racing it, the cables shouldn't make the slightest difference in the world. Likewise, ignition is one of those areas that to much of a good thing is NOT good. All the extra voltage is going to to is burn out your dizzy cap and rotor faster than normal. So, set your ignition correctly spark gaps normally (or very slightly over) and get the carbs tuned in properly.

Banjo
08-23-2012, 05:12 PM
Cheapest motor in the world to build. If it aint smokin', I wouldn't worry about it just yet. Have you torqued the heads and adjusted the valves?

Why do you need wires?

Not smoking, but there is an audible knock.
I see a total rebuild kit on ebay for under $500. that includes pistons, cylinders and a crankshaft!!!!
Have not torqued the heads, have adjusted valves.
I currently have solid core wires (Were fairly new when I got the car. they were on it then) With an MSD system the amount of interference thrown out by solid core wires will cause problems with the operation of the box, stock ones is like putting a garden hose nozzle on a fire hose. Spiral wound are the recommended style for the setup.

I know this is a strain on the dizzy cap, I'm ok with that.
I fought with the EFI long enough. It's a great system, but finding parts here in the salt belt is not easy, and I do not like the constant worry of waiting for the next old electric part to fail.
Just to be safe, I am keeping all the EFI components.

08-23-2012, 07:24 PM
Get a current issue of Dune Buggies and Hot VW's and check the suppliers in there. You should be able to build it for less. I wouldn't worry about the crank as much as the case. Measure your endplay as you may be in for an align bore.

I hope you've read the book by now. It'll get you in the right frame of mind.

Ben, torque the heads then reset the valves. Loose heads can somtimes make noise. That's mainly due to pulled studs though.

Banjo
08-23-2012, 08:32 PM
Thanks bro. I'll check those heads this weekend.
Got the book read. That's a great story.
Rebuild won't be till this winter at the earliest, unless I can find a decent donor 1600 to play with while this one is still running.
I'll check the mags for deals. I thought $500 for all that was pretty good.
One of the other teachers at the college has connections to a big VW guy not to far from here. I'll have to get with him to see what he's got.
My buddy I got the MSD from says he thinks he's got a set of wires hangin around. he's gonna check for me. That would be great!

08-23-2012, 09:09 PM
The thing about a used motor is it may need to be align bored too.

Build it right the first time and be done with it.

:whistle:

08-23-2012, 09:10 PM
Go grab the cranl pulley and pull/pull it hard back and forth. If you can hear/feel anyting it need to be align bored.

Bayless
08-24-2012, 09:22 AM
:iagree: I've been through that twice now. First time on daughters car it just dumped its oil on the street. I didn't know about that at the time but it was loose enough to destroy the seal. Next car I was ahead of it.

weewillie
08-24-2012, 04:52 PM
I hope you've read the book by now.

Book, Book, what book? what am I missing.

08-24-2012, 04:59 PM
Small Wonder

Banjo
08-24-2012, 07:46 PM
Small Wonder
That's the title of the book Willie..... he's not picking on you.

08-24-2012, 08:46 PM
Small Wonder

Small Wonder

Required reading:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Small-Wonder-The...=item337b6512e3 (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Small-Wonder-The-Amazing-Story-of-the-Volkswagen-by-Walter-Henry-Nelson-/221113553635?pt=US_Nonfiction_Book&hash=item337b65 12e3)

weewillie
08-24-2012, 09:02 PM
Phew! I was worried there for a moment :wink:
Will have to order that one, thanks guys

Billm
08-24-2012, 09:11 PM
You could always read Ralph Nader's book (Unsafe at any speed) too but I prefer to use that one as a doorstop!
BillM

08-24-2012, 09:17 PM

what am I missing.

Seeing you're Canadian, possibly the ability to identify bacon in it's proper form. :jester:

( And beer too if you ask Dad. :laugh: )

08-24-2012, 09:18 PM
Small Wonder

I can't possibly sound that abrasive, can I?

weewillie
08-24-2012, 10:06 PM
No your not abrasive and as for the bacon I make my own double smoked . :yesnod:

weewillie
08-24-2012, 10:08 PM

what am I missing.

Seeing you're Canadian, possibly the ability to identify bacon in it's proper form. :jester:

( And beer too if you ask Dad. :laugh: )

Canadian now but born and raised in Belfast Northern Ireland :cheers:

Banjo
08-25-2012, 05:25 PM
Willie, Kelysguy was kind enough to pass that book along to me, I'd gladly do the same if you'd like to read it. just send me a pm.
It's a great read about how the VW ,on more than one occasion, almost never was.

weewillie
08-25-2012, 07:28 PM
That sounds good Ben however I usually only get halfway through a book. There is however a 3 part you tube history of the beetle that is quite good
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_qu...1ac.EJLQcbHUwd4 (https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=vw+beetle+history+&oq=vw+beet le+history+&gs_l=youtube.3..0.3812.3812.0.4422.1.1 .0.0.0.0.328.328.3-1.1.0...0.0...1ac.EJLQcbHUwd4)

AngliaGT
09-02-2012, 01:16 AM
Canadian now but born and raised in Belfast Northern Ireland :cheers: [/quote]

I'm sorry.

- Doug