PDA

View Full Version : Check your hub retaining studs

angelfj1
08-21-2012, 06:03 PM
<span style="font-size: 12pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">This may not be a common failure, but I felt a caution would be appropriate.</span> </span>

A <span style="font-weight: bold">1955 TR2</span> entered by Pete Cox (Cox &amp; Buckles Spares later to become Moss Europe) in last years <span style="font-weight: bold">Mille Miglia </span>had to retire after experiencing failure of the studs retaining the wheel hub. The wheel actually came off but thankfully at a low speed.

https://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae297/trtags/Wornparts-1.jpg

See: https://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=36770&amp;hl= for the original report in the TR Register Forum.

DNK
08-21-2012, 06:05 PM
Well geez ,after 56 years .
Not to bad of service :jester:

angelfj1
08-21-2012, 06:34 PM
Well geez ,after 56 years .
Not to bad of service :jester:

If you look closely at the photo you will notice that:

- the loose studs shown are not original type

- there appears to be remnants of weld around the holes

Could these modifications have contributed to the failure?

https://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae297/trtags/Wornparts2.jpg

mallard
08-21-2012, 06:42 PM
Frank that's the first thing I saw on the hub and agree with you. Can't blame Triumph for that one.

TR3driver
08-21-2012, 07:14 PM
I guess it is still not clear to me just what the failure was. I see 3 studs, all of which appear to have been serviceable before being removed.

But it is easy for studs to wear rapidly, if the lug nuts come loose. As Dr. Herrera (Twosheds) used to say, I have experimented with this. The problem appears to be particularly severe on the LH side of cars with wire wheel adapters.

Long time ago, I left home with, I thought, 16 sound studs. Roughly 800 miles later, I discovered that the adapter nuts on the LR had come loose enough that the adapter was working against the hub. Two studs were broken entirely (although the broken end and nut were still trapped between the adapter and wheel); the other two were worn to less than a pencil thickness!

I had not noticed that there was a problem (no doubt suffering from mild highway hypnosis after the long drive), until I tried to take a freeway exit ramp a bit too fast. The loose wheel caused a huge amount of oversteer and the car went fully sideways. Probably with stickier tires (like the ones I use today) it would have flipped, but fortunately it slid instead. Had some anxious moments, but I got it under control and was able to complete the trip after tightening up the remaining nuts with a small pipe wrench. (They were much too far gone for a normal socket.) And installing a change of underwear :smile:

Lessee, that must've been around 1976; so fast-foward 40 years or so and my Dad lost the same LR wheel with the same car, except he didn't notice until the wheel parted company with the car (taking the fender and adapter with it).

PeterK
08-21-2012, 08:11 PM
That looks like someone replaced the studs and instead of peening over the back side, they tried to tack weld around the edges. And the studs worked loose.