PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A Sorting Out "Afro's" TR3

PatGalvin
08-21-2012, 05:30 PM
Hey Guys
I finally made my way over to Tracy's home to check out her TR3A. She fired right up and we got about 4 blocks before she (the car) died. Clearly starved for fuel. So, walked back, got a rope, and towed it back. Plan for next week is to remove the fuel filter under the gas tank and replace with flex line, remove kinks in the flex fuel line under tank and at input to the fuel pump, and add a fuel filter at the carbs. And change the oil. Then, we'll try for a second voyage and then sort out brakes. The car stops, but it doesn't roll well at all (can hardly push it). Something is dragging badly. In case there are any suggestions, it is much harder to push in reverse than in forward direction. Have not had it up off the wheels yet to spin wheels for drag. Tracy needs a couple used (i.e., cheap) stock air filters, in case any of you have some to share. Let's welcome new member to the forum.

Pat

https://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae352/PatGalvin_bucket/021-1.jpg

DNK
08-21-2012, 06:07 PM
Sounds like the rear brakes

NOTE: Finally something better to look at than Doc

HerronScott
08-21-2012, 07:25 PM
Boy sure wish my car was in that condition to start with! I'd start with rear brakes as well. How do the rotors look after your short drive?

Scott

tdskip
08-21-2012, 08:20 PM
Welcome Tracy, and right on Pat.

Afrodesia
08-25-2012, 12:05 PM
Why thank y'all!

After a somewhat heckish & stressful week i am finally catching up.
I am going to try to sort out the easy-ish fuel filter fix by the tank (which was horribly packed with junk a la my earlier resolved quandry) and hopefully it'll run long enough to get him (car, not Pat) into the garage to save us from singeing ourselves when attempting further operations.

Again, many thanks to Pat. I think he needed to actually drive a TR since its been a while so hopefully he can be indulged soon.

luke44
08-26-2012, 07:44 AM
... The car stops, but it doesn't roll well at all (can hardly push it). Something is dragging badly. In case there are any suggestions, it is much harder to push in reverse than in forward direction...

I agree with Don - sounds like something in the rear brakes.

Afrodesia
08-26-2012, 02:52 PM
Well, when I pull up on the the e-brake, it doesn't engage (or disengage?) just moves up & down with no tension. Could it have frozen & cause dragging? Doesn't seem to be that way, like Pat said, going forward just in reverse.

tdskip
08-26-2012, 05:08 PM
Do all the wheels turn freely when they are off the ground?

Afrodesia
08-26-2012, 10:51 PM
Don't know yet. Had to re-fix the fuel filter situ today & will get it up on jackstands this week. I'm thinking there will be some major resistance. I'll likely have to get both axles worked on plus who knows what else.

hondo402000
08-27-2012, 05:43 AM
I think I would get the brakes sorted out before I started tooling around a lot,
if the brakes are hung up and you go driving they will get really hot and possible burn up something. Its one thing to not be able to go, a really bad thing when you can go and not stop

Hondo

Afrodesia
08-27-2012, 02:01 PM
Heard loudly & clearly. Its not going much of anywhere (I didn't even register fit yet) but there was a couple of 'low-speed around the blocks' to figure out some issues was necessary Found out it probably has a chipped tooth in 1st/reverse...that ought to be fun to rememdy = \

A big hello to Charlotte from me! One niece is there & another other & my sister are in Banner Elk & Newland, respectively. Just got back a few weeks ago from a visit...sigh.