PDA

View Full Version : Good cheap mnt bike?

08-18-2012, 04:10 PM
Looking for something around $200. Looking at the Schwinn Aluminum Comp for $198 @ Walmart. Mainly riding on paved roads but there are woods by me. Anyone know of a decent quality bike for a fair price?

equiprx
08-18-2012, 04:36 PM
You can have my Mountain Goat brand Trench Goat model for $500. It's a rare hand made bike from the late 1980s. Perfect condition except tires.

PC
08-18-2012, 06:17 PM
Hard to imagine finding a decent mountain bike, new, for $200.

But if you're going to be sticking mainly to paved paths with little trail riding an entry level bike may be adequate.

I would never recommend buying a bike form a discount store. I always suggest checking with your local bike shops. The cost difference for a truly equivalent product vs. a discount store is usually not much and the service will be infinitely superior.

If you do end up buying a bike from a discount store, you'll be riding a machine that was built in the factory that was savagely beaten to the lowest price possible and then assembled by Wallyworld shelf-stocking monkey. You'll at least want to strip it down and reassemble it yourself before using it.

08-18-2012, 07:12 PM
I hear ya PC but the Schwinn feels like a decent bike. Well, at least it's much better than all the Mongeese they have.

TR6BILL
08-18-2012, 08:44 PM
I rebuilt an old (but very clean) Cannondale bike we have owned for 15 years for my wife. American made. Now, <span style="text-decoration: underline">all</span> Cannondales are Chinese. Even my son's $5000.00 Italian road racer (Bianchi) is Chinese!

JPSmit
08-18-2012, 09:40 PM
Looking for something around $200. Looking at the Schwinn Aluminum Comp for $198 @ Walmart. Mainly riding on paved roads but there are woods by me. Anyone know of a decent quality bike for a fair price?

Craigslist?

drooartz
08-19-2012, 11:37 AM
Definitely look used. I picked up my bike (Gary Fisher) from a friend for $120 -- included a brand new fork he had just put on. Lots of deals out there, especially as Mtn Bike folks I know like to move up to new gear pretty frequently.

08-20-2012, 09:58 PM
Definitely look used. I picked up my bike (Gary Fisher) from a friend for $120 -- included a brand new fork he had just put on. Lots of deals out there, especially as Mtn Bike folks I know like to move up to new gear pretty frequently.

Nuthin' rounf here on CL for those. I bought one new from WM. Was $198, clearance for $154. The Schwinn Aluminum Comp 26" . NOt a bad bike for the $$$. Kellys says if I like riding enough I can upgrader later v.s buying a really good ine now.

Prob'ly a good idea as now I wants me a new $1300 "tool" ( that I can't mention here) I really don't need.