PDA

View Full Version : need advice, setting points

crj7driver
03-12-2005, 09:52 PM
I am looking for any input, I set the gap on my tr6 as per the manual, then start it up in the garage (runs/revs up great). Then take the car out for a spin, the car hesitates, and does not accelerate. by the time I get the car back to the garage it won't rev well without popping and hesitating (even in neutral). BTW when I drove it the total distance was about 4 blocks.

Dave Russell
03-12-2005, 10:00 PM
Is resetting the points "all" that you did? What you describe is common when the point gap is set too close. Make absolutely sure that it is set at .015".
D

AltaKnight
03-12-2005, 10:21 PM
Mine did that when the little condenser next to the points went bad. I changed it and she ran fine after that.

Paul Johnson
03-12-2005, 10:26 PM
Second Graham's comments. When you got back from your drive, were the points still set at .015"? If so, then either get another condenser or put the old one back on. Bad condersers out of the box are not uncommon. If the points did not stay set, then double check your screw, and make sure also that the distributor cam has a tiny bit of lubricant on it.

Geo Hahn
03-12-2005, 10:53 PM
Know too, that changing the points gap also changes the timing. You adjust the points first, then set the timing.

waltesefalcon
03-13-2005, 07:59 PM
I think the guys have already answered your question, change out the condenser, and then double check the gap and then set the timing.