PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phone use

TOC
08-17-2012, 02:12 PM
Had to go pick up my new specs today and get them fitted.
Whilst sitting in the fitment chair, notice 3 or 4 folks over along the wall in chairs waiting their turn.
Late teen girl in the middle, realized she was on a phone call. Loud. Long, and somewhat personal. Just kept going. I looked up around the display case, the gal next to her made eye contact, and rolled her eyes.
I held my index finger up, said "watch this".

Pulled my emergency cell phone out, opened it, and proceeded (loudly):

"Yeah, I'm sitting in the eye doctor's office. Yeah, I'll speak up a bit for you. No, it doesn't bother anyone here that I am talking to you in a doctor's office. I could step out into the foyer like everyone else does to hold a phone conversation, but I am not going to do that. I'll cover the personal bits later. Bye".

DEAD silence. 15 seconds later, the bit.....teenage female gets up, goes into the foyer, and finishes her call.

Almost a standing ovation ensued.

Love it!

Dave

Mickey Richaud
08-17-2012, 02:24 PM
Touche', Dave!

Though I doubt it truly made an impression on the lass.

NutmegCT
08-17-2012, 02:31 PM
I'm expanding this to "phone use".

I go to the local community college to register and pay fees. Registration takes five minutes.

Then I go to the bursar window to pay. Clerk pulls up my record on the screen, then the desk phone rings.

Clerk then spent the next ten minutes talking to the phone person, describing all the wonderful courses being offered this fall.

When she hung up, she said "sorry - what did you need?".

I said "not a thing" and walked away. Went home and paid online, and sent an email to the Bursar directly about my "experience".

Harrumph. Remember back when we were young and everyone was respectful of others? And if you were talking to someone in person, and the phone rang, you answered and said "please hold".

:jester:

Tom

Mickey Richaud
08-17-2012, 02:35 PM
"It's a sorry world!"
~Tim Wilson~

Boink
08-17-2012, 03:08 PM
Amongst many goofy and insensitive uses of phones these days, I STILL can't get over hearing someone talking in a toilet stall. THAT is weird. :sick:

AngliaGT
08-18-2012, 12:45 AM
Dave,

You ARE my HERO!!! Seems that girls can't walk,
or breathe,unless they're on a phone.
Why does anone care about their conversation -
on the other end of it?,& why is it so important to
HAVE to talk about nothing?

- Doug

John250
08-18-2012, 02:41 AM
I have never understood the need for everyone to have cell phones.

If it wasn't for business reasons I wouldn't own one. In fact outside of business calls the only thing I use my phone for is Internet when I'm not at home or in the office.

08-18-2012, 03:23 AM

If it wasn't for business reasons I wouldn't own one. In fact outside of business calls the only thing I use my phone for is Internet when I'm not at home or in the office.

Sounds like you're single.

John250
08-18-2012, 03:35 AM
Haha. No I am married. Which is probably more of a reason I wouldn't have one if I didn't need it for work.

JPSmit
08-18-2012, 08:10 AM

Lot's of good reasons to have Cell Phones - especially for daughters. Sadly we have not yet developed the etiquette to go along with the technology yet.

JamesWilson
08-18-2012, 04:53 PM
Amongst many goofy and insensitive uses of phones these days, I STILL can't get over hearing someone talking in a toilet stall. THAT is weird. :sick:

Sounds like a good time to flush ALL the toilets.... :jester: :devilgrin:

Shinsen774
08-19-2012, 07:59 PM
I was in the head the other day and a guy at the urinal is talking on the phone!!!

terriphill
08-19-2012, 10:02 PM
My husband and I have always had a "no cell phone" policy when we go out to eat. This pertains to all the teenagers we often have with us as well. "No texting at the table"

I went to lunch recently with my 70ish Mom and her sister. BOTH of them pulled out their IPhones at the table and began checking e-mails. I had to inform my Mother and Aunt that I would prefer they spend lunch talking with me and to please put away their phones at the table.

JPSmit
08-19-2012, 10:03 PM
I was in the head the other day and a guy at the urinal is talking on the phone!!!

doesn't that p*ss you off! :devilgrin:

JPSmit
08-19-2012, 10:05 PM
My husband and I have always had a "no cell phone" policy when we go out to eat. This pertains to all the teenagers we often have with us as well. "No texting at the table"

I went to lunch recently with my 70ish Mom and her sister. BOTH of them pulled out their IPhones at the table and began checking e-mails. I had to inform my Mother and Aunt that I would prefer they spend lunch talking with me and to please put away their phones at the table.

I will typically leave mine in the car but I have heard of the scenario where everyone puts their phone in a pile on the table and the first one to grab theirs, buys.

martx-5
08-20-2012, 07:20 AM

:iagree: After fighting the cel phone issue for years, I finally was forced to get one by my boss...actually, he supplies it. Although he doesn't mind if we use it outside of business, I very rarely use it for those purposes, as normally I wouldn't even have one.

MikeP
08-20-2012, 10:23 AM
We have a lot of folks at work who like to get into conf calls and then wander up and down the aisles chatting away on their headsets. One lady used to like to band on cabinets and cube walls as she walked by. I didn't make a friend when I mentioned that perhaps she'd never been shown how to use her desk chair.