PDA

View Full Version : PropShaft questions/renewal

Willie_P
08-16-2012, 01:07 PM
hi all,

Had my propshaft (no jokes, pls!) bead blasted and repainted and also installed new u-joints, etc.

Anyway, I removed the slipjoint to clean-up the old grease and be sure there was no media blasting material contaminating the grease.

I have a question/looking for suggestions: there is a cardboard-y (possibly cork) gasket on the inside of the screw-on dustcap for the threaded slip joint. It basically disintegrated upon removal.

Moss does not appear to sell a replacement piece.

Can I just make a new one out of cork or high-quality cardboard and then regrease?

I was even thinking of laying-down a bead of gasket maker on the inside edge of the dust cover, letting it dry and the putting back in place on the slip joint. Do recall though, that the gasket must slide back and forth on the propshaft slip joint during normal driving of the car.

I appreciate any recommendations. thanks, wes

martx-5
08-16-2012, 01:24 PM
The service manual for the TR2/3 says that the gasket is made from cork. I've bought cork gasket material at my FLAPS.

JerryVV
08-16-2012, 03:00 PM
You might try the graphite rope that pumbers use. Do a few wraps and buy the largest diameter rope that you can find. Or go back to the shop who did the work on the u-joints (or a shop that does driveshaft work) and see if they have the proper size seal. It's a fairly universal method sealing that slip joint.

PeterK
08-16-2012, 03:34 PM
I cut out a round washer from a leather scrap then slit it.

Darrell_Walker
08-16-2012, 03:39 PM
A while back someone gave me some section of a quad o-ring. Seems to be working well. I don't know if you could find one the exact size, we just cut lengths from a very large ring that was the right thickness. We used these on the prop shaft as well as the half-shafts (if you have a car with IRS).

Willie_P
08-17-2012, 06:22 AM
thanks to all. I like the leather idea.