PDA

View Full Version : TR5/TR250 installing new top on a TR250

John250
08-16-2012, 12:30 PM
Anyone in here ever replaced a top on a TR250??

I have had this top new in the box for a while. I had taken it out one time but just haven't gotten around to putting it on.

Just trying to see what all is involved with the replacement

Adrio
08-16-2012, 01:12 PM
I did a TR4A and it was not a big deal. From what I recall the rear snaps went in first (those where lift a dots) and then the side ones (those were snaps) always working from the centre out (I think the centre of the top is maked). Once I did that I glued the front on to the framework (again from the cenre out). I did make it a bit tight expecting the tip to stretch but it did not stretch as much as I expected. I do have a memory of riveting something along the front but I can't remember what.

Brosky
08-16-2012, 01:22 PM
Get it out in the warm sun for a few hours before you begin.

John250
08-16-2012, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the input

poolboy
08-16-2012, 01:52 PM
I'd say check into an upholstery shop installing it for you.. With a car worth that much, you wouldn't want to end up with a few wrinkles. There's bound to be a good shop between you and Tupelo

John250
08-16-2012, 02:01 PM
I technically live in E Tupelo. There is supposed to be a good shop in Verona.

I regret not getting it done before I left Lakeland FLA. I really wanted the guy who redid my seats for me to install it. I am real picky when it comes to who works on any of my vehicles. Which is why I always end up doing the work.

poolboy
08-16-2012, 02:14 PM
Me too and although for the past 50 years I've'managed to keep my cars running, I've only installed 2 or 3 tops during that time, but that is enough to convince me that the next one will be done by someone with more experience.

John250
08-16-2012, 02:27 PM
That's why mine is not on yet. I can do body and mechanic work all day long. But I am no apolstry man.

And I don't want to buy another one when I mess this one up. Haha

glemon
08-16-2012, 06:46 PM
I did my TR250 top, first convertible top I have done, didn't find it that hard, I had a frame but no old top to use as reference.

Basically find center by folding it in half, mark with chalk (sidewalk chalk works great, if you have kids or know somebody that does they will have some). Fit the rear snaps to the rear rail center first, work your way forward, stretching so it is taught and wrinkle free, but not too much. Header rail fits with contact cement, then is also held on with riveted on bar. I did find that you can pull it up off the rail and do it again if the fit isn't quite right.

Mark the various snap points with sidewalk chalk as you stretch it over them, then you will know precisely where to make the hole.

More detailed instructions here:

https://www.vtr.org/maintain/tr6-top.shtml

and here

https://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/TR6Top/TR6SoftTop.htm

I got very good results, no problems whatsoever, biggest issue was header rail gluing, I did it a couple times before I got it right, but easy enough to pull off and start over. It is a do it once and do it right kind of job though, once you make a hole in the top that is your spot for the snap, but the chalk method makes it pretty goof proof, "measure thrice, cut once"

Do it on a warm and sunny day, as alread mentioned.

DNK
08-17-2012, 11:54 AM
I'm with Ken