PDA

View Full Version : oil on the underside of the bonnet?

Switherenbank
08-14-2012, 06:37 PM
I have a fairly large leak that seems to come out right underneath my cooling fan on my spitfire, a little bit to the passenger side. I noticed a few times when I had a line of fluid on the underside of the hood horizontally.

It seems the fan is kicking up fluid or maybe the belt is throwing it up.

where is this leak coming from? the oil level hasnt budged so im confused as to what it could be. The whole engine is relatively grimy on the underside so its hard to pinpoint.

Switherenbank
08-14-2012, 06:39 PM
I have a fairly large leak that seems to come out right underneath my cooling fan on my spitfire, a little bit to the passenger side. I noticed a few times when I had a line of fluid on the underside of the hood horizontally.

It seems the fan is kicking up fluid or maybe the belt is throwing it up.

where is this leak coming from? the oil level hasnt budged so im confused as to what it could be. The whole engine is relatively grimy on the underside so its hard to pinpoint.

1978 is the year

3798j
08-14-2012, 07:14 PM
From your description I would guess it's from the timing chain cover as it seals to the block or at the opening on the cover for the crankshaft (just behind the lower pulley). Both leaks would get oil flung up from the spinning fan/fan belt. As you commented, I think it'll be easier to find once you do some de-greasing.

Andrew Mace
08-14-2012, 08:09 PM
:iagree:

Switherenbank
08-15-2012, 01:54 AM
Thanks guys, How much of the car do I have to take apart to fix this? ill get to it in the morning.