PDA

View Full Version : Deal....or no deal ?

GilsTR
08-08-2012, 09:00 AM
This is not my car....and I know nothing about it! But from the listing on craigslist...and watching sidescreen prices lately...to me this looks like a....DEAL! Gil NoCal
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/3190452748.html

TR4nut
08-08-2012, 09:27 AM
Its a deal if its real!

Sarastro
08-08-2012, 09:43 AM
Craigslist always warns people that "offers to ship cars are 100% fraudulent." This seller is offering to deliver the car. Hmmmm...

One thing you can do to check the legitimacy of such things is to do a search for the image using tineye.com. Often you can discover that the image was just taken from another web site. I did this with this ad, and didn't find anything.

That said, this ad does have the ring of truth to it. Most scammers post only one or two pictures, offer a ridiculously low price, include a "hard sell" description, and demand a deposit up front, often by an untraceable means such as Western Union. The idea is to abscond with your deposit.

So, if you are interested in this, it's essential to go to see it in person, ask to see the title, and make sure everything is OK.

TR3driver
08-08-2012, 10:02 AM
Let me get this straight, the car is in Montana, but the seller wants to deliver it not just to southern CA, but only to Orange County, not even LA or Riverside (it's not listed on those Craigslist sites). If you believe that is on the level, I have a bridge I'd like to sell you!

One other oddity, it appears to have doors from a later TR. A 56 would not have outside door handles, nor the Dzus button sockets for side curtains.

To Steve's cautions I would add: Don't give the seller a penny, until you physically take possession of the car. If necessary, use an escrow service.

tdskip
08-08-2012, 10:11 AM
Likely scam - fits the pattern.

Geo Hahn
08-08-2012, 10:57 AM
It is on the Bozeman MT and other Montana Craigslists. If not a scam, then pretty clever to post in in a place like OC where cars are more sought after.

I have forwarded it to a Tucson TR/Healey/Woolsey owner who is in Idaho Falls for the summer. He has too many projects to dare bring another one home but likely someone from his club up there will have a look (if there is anything to look at).

billspit
08-08-2012, 11:54 AM
The guy may just have access to a trucking company that often goes to OC.

pdplot
08-08-2012, 03:05 PM
Suspicious. I owned a 56 TR3 bought new from Bill Vaughan in NYC. It had no outside door handles & thin seats. The seats on this one look like from a later car, after 1957. Beware.

PD

cheseroo
08-08-2012, 04:58 PM
You want a deal? Buy this baby and go Lemons/Chumpcar racing with us
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/3156529302.html

NFI