PDA

View Full Version : TR4/4A Refreshing solid axle TR4a rear bushings

tdskip
08-07-2012, 10:41 PM
I've done the TR6 and the IRS TR4a, need to do the solid axle TR4a and wondering how much of a fight I'm in for.

Is the front eye spring (#51 below) usually a fight to get out?

https://www.mossmotors.com/Graphics/Products/Schematics/TRI-031.gif

The shackle pins shouldn't put up too much of a fight should they?

richie
08-08-2012, 09:49 PM
Mine came off very easily! Was quite straightforward, although my springs had been changed about 15 years ago which could account for its ease :smile:

tdskip
08-09-2012, 07:31 PM
Thanks Riche - I'm expecting a fight but we'll see!

MichaelG
08-09-2012, 07:56 PM
Is the front eye spring (#51 below) usually a fight to get out?

Mine were original, rusted in, and needed some work to get out. I don't have a press so tried penetrating oil, heat, BFH, etc....didn't budge. Someone on the list offered a tip to drill out the rubber in the bush..so the inner metal tube falls out leaving just the outer metal tube. This worked and then it was short work with a BFH and chisel....

TR3driver
08-09-2012, 10:20 PM
Another alternative is to heat the rubber until it melts (and burns), then poke it out while it's hot. Then you can cut into the outer sleeve with a hacksaw blade. When you are most of the way through, beat on the sleeve with a BFH & drift to drive it out.

I've used this approach on other similar components, but the original rear spring bushings on my TR3 came right out in the press. Of course, we don't get nearly as much rust around here, so YMMV.