PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3 rear axle hub gasket ????

mallard
08-03-2012, 06:03 PM
I can't find this gasket in the parts book. Is this something the previous owner made up to help correct an outer rear axle seal leak? They were found between the hub and the inside of the brake drums.

BRSLimited
08-07-2012, 06:01 PM
Could be something that was put there to keep the drum from rusting to the hub. I'm not sure exactly how the rear hubs are put together on the TR3 to know what goes where.

M_Pied_Lourd
08-07-2012, 07:12 PM
Keith,

Is it possible that is to set the end float/spacing of the axles? I know that on mine when I dissasembled there were some spacers/shims in there...If I recall correctly, it orients the axles correctly with the pinion in the diff.

Cheers,
Tush

TR3driver
08-07-2012, 07:52 PM
Definitely not a normal part of the assembly. No telling what the DPO thought it would do, but it won't help with a seal leak. Maybe if there was oil weeping between the hub & shaft (which tended to be a problem with the earlier axles, not so much with the "Girling" ones).

The shims for setting end float go between the brake backing plate and the axle; have 6 holes rather than 4.

mallard
08-07-2012, 08:46 PM
I'm not going to do anything with these gaskets. They were not original for the car and as Randall said would do nothing for any leaks.

Tush you are correct about shims for the end float but they go between the bearing housing and the backing plate.

Thanks again guys.