PDA

View Full Version : Bye bye, EFI!

Banjo
08-03-2012, 05:14 PM
My poor '70 VW has been parked since May, when the EFI system crapped out for a second time. I really liked the way it drove when the system was running, and I know what was wrong, it needed a new Barometric pressure sensor (Only found used, and for a price higher than I wanted to pay)
SO after doing some thinking, and searching I decided that the lack of available parts and a somewhat unsteady antique electronic system required replacement with a set of carbs.
Got a set of duals on the way. Brand new!! In a conversion set, with all I need to swap it over.
Today I got all the bits of the EFI taken off, and set aside for whoever wants to "restore" this thing in the future. Now I wait for my new stuff to come and go do some driving!!

weewillie
08-03-2012, 05:28 PM
NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO tell me it isn't so :nonono: :cryin:

btw what did you get and was it more cost effective to do that?

DNK
08-03-2012, 05:35 PM
Ben- Does it look like this?

https://www.vwtype3.org/literature/clymer/service/images/0720.jpg

DrEntropy
08-03-2012, 05:58 PM
mehheh.

"Ze oldt vays are za best vays!"

:jester: :devilgrin:

DNK
08-03-2012, 05:59 PM
Heifer Dust!

08-03-2012, 06:39 PM
:whistle:

waltesefalcon
08-03-2012, 07:49 PM
I'd have done the same Ben.

Banjo
08-03-2012, 08:02 PM
Don, Yes, that's the bugger. There were several different ones depending on the part number of the computer, most I found were in the $80 range, used, with no warranty.
the kit I have coming is a dual EPC 34 dual port kit. twin carbs, so they fit under the engine lid, come with linkage, intakes, air cleaners and fuel line. for just over $300
It would have been cheaper to repair the EFI, but parts are not readily available, and I don't trust the system any more. This car was supposed to be cheap and simple. Currently it's trying to claim the title of the infamous "Crypt Car" for those who've been around here a while.
I'll let ya know how it all goes when it shows up.
I gotta tinker with the fuel supply. It's got a brand new $80 electric fuel pump, so I ain't gonna buy a mechanical one. I gotta keep the return line and see if I can dial the stock regulator down to carb range...

Mickey Richaud
08-03-2012, 08:26 PM
mehheh.

"Ze oldt vays are za best vays!"

:jester: :devilgrin:

Yep, you're gonna love the dualies.

AngliaGT
08-03-2012, 08:41 PM
Does anyone remember when the local parts store had
at least one new Weber on display?

- Doug

DNK
08-03-2012, 08:46 PM
I'd have used a MAP sensor from a GM
All it is doing is taking VAC readings

08-03-2012, 09:36 PM
I don't trust the system any more....

. :devilgrin:
. :jester:

08-03-2012, 09:39 PM
Ben, pumps are cheap. Pull that one off and keep it for something else or sell it on ebay.

If you're gonna be done with it, be done with it and you'll be done with it...

...lest we forget....
:wink:
<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

08-03-2012, 09:47 PM
antique electronic system required replacement with a set of carbs.

One'na the first things I learned as a child...

"Veedub'ya n'jectshin ?!?!?!".... :eeek:

DrEntropy
08-04-2012, 02:19 AM
Use a Holley regulator, Ben.

3798j
08-04-2012, 06:22 AM
I had a '74 2.0 Porsche 914 that used close the same fuel injection system as your VW's . Always loved the drive-ability of that fuel injection. Anyway, had heard that if it was acting up, the first place to look was a faulty fuel injection pressure regulator. Rock auto shows a couple with prices under $40.

Banjo
08-04-2012, 09:57 AM
Jay, Yup, same system. nope, not the regulator. Pressure test showed pressure steady at 30 psi. also had checked all wires, and vacuum lines as those are very common problems. After hours of testing, ohming, and generally using every setting on my DVOM, I positively pinpointed the baro sensor as the problem. After 15 years of being an auto tec, ending up as a Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician, I wasn't going to let a 40 year old EFI system outwit me. But I'm also not going to let it keep beating me up. It was already several days, and 5 separate no start issues to get through to get this car running when I first got it.
The fuel pump I have is the frame rail pump from a late 80s Ford Ranger. it's a common swap for the V-Dub guys as the original Bosch pumps are expensive and problematic. I had a brand new one that came with the car, and it leaked like a sieve.
Doc, I have one of those Holly regulators in my parts bins. I'll have to dig it out later.

3798j
08-04-2012, 10:32 AM
Ben - Wasn't trying to sound as if I was second guessing your decision to toss it. Just always remembered how important that 29/30 psi of fuel pressure was said to be necessary for good running.

DrEntropy
08-04-2012, 11:46 AM
They won't trigger with less. PITA system. I much prefer the CIS setup.

After 15 years of being an auto tec, ending up as a Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician, <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">I wasn't going to let a 40 year old EFI system outwit me.</span></span> But I'm also not going to let it keep beating me up. It was already several days, and 5 separate no start issues to get through to get this car running when I first got it.

Persistence is HIGHLY over-rated in some cases. BTDT. :smirk:
Good call, laddie! :thumbsup:

TOC
08-04-2012, 12:52 PM
Seems to me when this version of The People's Car showed up in your possession, issues with the factory EFI were discussed, as were the availability of some of the parts.
It took longer than I would have thought for you to come around.....until I read it had been parked for three months!
Dave

Banjo
08-04-2012, 12:53 PM
I appreciate the input Jay, I wasn't upset. Thanks for the tip. With obscure things like that we rely on others who have "been there, done that".
Doc, If I was on the West coast where there were VW junkyards nearby, I might consider keeping the system, but in my locale, where I have one of maybe 2 dozen cars with this system in the state, forget it.
Simplicity. This thing is supposed to be fun, not a mental challenge, and logistical nightmare.
I wanna be pondering what color to paint it, not why it won't run.

DrEntropy
08-04-2012, 01:50 PM
I trained on CIS and EFI, Porsche/Audi. I'd have swapped out the EFI for carbs as a "First Step" with that vehicle. I understand your view to keeping it if it just <span style="font-style: italic">worked</span> but at some point it'd stop anyway.
Better in the driveway than when you're someplace outside the yard. :devilgrin: :jester:

08-04-2012, 06:14 PM
It took longer than I would have thought for you to come around.....

Na, par for the course for this'un. He's has a wee bit of the thinckness in his quickness...kinda a lot like me. :yesnod:

I may have me a brudda methinks. :laugh: :thumbsup:

yey Pops, spent any time in the Watkins Glen area in the mid 70's? :devilgrin: :jester: