PDA

View Full Version : TR6 Passenger side TR6 rear clunk?

tdskip
08-01-2012, 11:55 PM
Yeah, but I don't believe it is the usual differential mount as I reinforced them and it happens on bumps not on power take up.

It is only on vertical motion, side to side doesn't make it happen. I can make it clunk a bit by rocking the car up and down at a standstill.

Any ideas? Body mounts maybe?

I'd like to think I tightened the trailing arms properly, and she does have 600+ miles on her like this without anything bad happening or her handling being impacted.

hondo402000
08-02-2012, 05:21 AM
if you have the original lever shocks check to see if the mounting bolts are tight, use a torque wrench to make sure you get them set correctly, if you have one

Hondo

sail
08-02-2012, 07:00 AM
Drive you crazy. I have one I can't find but ever since I took the head off it hasn't been a problem. Agree shocks can make a racket with either the bolts or the attachment to the TA slightly loose.

tdskip
08-02-2012, 08:08 AM
Thanks guys - will give that a look.

YYCDave
08-02-2012, 10:50 AM
if you have the original lever shocks check to see if the mounting bolts are tight, use a torque wrench to make sure you get them set correctly, if you have one

Hondo

And in addition check the shock links and bushings where they attach to the TA.

BobbyD
08-02-2012, 01:53 PM
Your axle splines may be dry and that will make a clunk-like sound under the right conditions.

And as mentioned......... the stock shock mount
https://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/Blind%20Moose/BrokenMount.jpg

tdskip
08-02-2012, 02:47 PM
Thanks Dave and Bob.

tdskip
08-02-2012, 08:47 PM
Found it - one of the shock mounts bolts has worked it way loose. Not sure how the heck that happened - I must not have tightened it properly. Yikes!

Thanks guys.

TR3driver
08-03-2012, 11:08 AM
Found it - one of the shock mounts bolts has worked it way loose. Not sure how the heck that happened - I must not have tightened it properly. Yikes!

I was forever having that problem on my TR3/A, until I substituted Stover nuts for the Nylocs. I also ground down a flat washer so it would fit under the nut and help keep the shock ear from getting chewed up; plus go for 30-35 ftlb (higher than the factory spec of 26-28).

https://www.mcmaster.com/#3199
(I use the "conical-top" version but the others would probably work just as well.)

tdskip
08-03-2012, 11:53 AM

I was forever having that problem on my TR3/A, until I substituted Stover nuts for the Nylocs. I also ground down a flat washer so it would fit under the nut and help keep the shock ear from getting chewed up; plus go for 30-35 ftlb (higher than the factory spec of 26-28).

https://www.mcmaster.com/#3199
(I use the "conical-top" version but the others would probably work just as well.)

Ah, didn't know they had a tendency to do that. I just assumed I screwed up (may have still).

Thanks for the ideas on how to address.