PDA

View Full Version : Old 0 gauge trains

TOC
08-01-2012, 08:08 PM
My favourite in 2-rail is ScaleCraft. Went under just after WWII. I have a bunch of stuff....three sand-cast bronze steam outline engines, oh, 50 freight cars (wood, cast aluminium, pot metal passenger cars), but a good friend called me over Monday afternoon to see some stuff in his garage.
He had picked up 21 freight and head-end cars (long, passenger refrigerator cars with passenger car trucks).
20 were ScaleCraft....all on their way to landfill when he snagged them.

I've been cleaning, touching up nicks and such.

But, one tank car was an oddity.

Seems it's a 1939 NY World's Fair car, a consortium of 27 Eastern Railroad pooled resources to build this huge 0 scale railroad.

I put photos out on one of the forums I am on, and sure enough....right down to the road number:

TOC
08-01-2012, 08:09 PM
And, the other side:

Apparently quite rare.

Steve
08-01-2012, 08:34 PM
Nice find! Heading for a landfill? Give me a break......

TOC
08-01-2012, 10:01 PM
Yup. "No Value"

DrEntropy
08-01-2012, 11:12 PM
This stuff is happening all across the country. Usually with "estate sales" and the folk who run them. They've NO idea what they're dealing with. They're ~sharks~ and they're blind to history and/or details. They're their worst enemies if they want to make money at what they do... and our best resource if we're fortunate enough to be present when they swarm.

Whole thing disgusts me personally, though.

TOC
08-02-2012, 01:01 AM
Over the years, I have been in the right place at the right time....often.
Jag was one of those things.

MikeP
08-02-2012, 10:54 AM
With all the antique hunting and valuing programs on tv these days I find it a bit surprising that something like this was tossed. If it had been me and I'd not know specific values I would have had someone look at them first with an idea towards selling. Most folks in this economy understand potential green.

08-02-2012, 11:34 AM
With all the antique hunting and valuing programs on tv these days I find it a bit surprising that something like this was tossed. .

I have mixed feelings about those. On one hand they are saving treasures, on the other they are driving prices through the roof. I know that shows like these have impacted my bottom line, as now "regular civilians" with smart phones are driving prices up trying to make a quick buck. Those mostly being younger couples...bidding on EVERYTHING !!!

I don't understand that. If I see something for sale, especially if it's a bargan that I know someone else that's interested in, I pass it along.

I love a good deal, even if I'm not direcrtly involved. What matters most is the caretakers are rewarded for their efforts.

I do see shows like that changing markets so much, it forcing certain sectors of free individuals back into the system....that currently isn't working. While there isn't any black helicopters currently flying around me, it still makes me wonder...as clearly it isn't good for anobody, well, at least not the majority.

Let's not even talk about what shows like that did to the housing market.

Oooops, sorry Dad....

Hey, could you please explain the scale to us? I have no idea what a 0 is v.s anything else.

martx-5
08-02-2012, 11:52 AM
This should keep you busy for awhile. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Model_railroad_scales)

TOC
08-02-2012, 12:06 PM
Yeah, that's it. Maerklin started it all. They decided on zero, one, two, three, four, five gauge (distance between rails). Later, when electric motor technology allowed smaller motors, they asked what shall we do?
Half Zero, or referred to by those who haven't a clue as to "history" as HO.
What we now call "S" (started out with American Flyer) was H1, or half of #1 gauge.

0 is 1.25" betwixt rails. Lionel is also 0, but three rail, hence the specificity of 2-rail 0 scale.

This stuff hadn't been quite pitched......on it's way when my buddy heard and grabbed it.

TOC
08-02-2012, 01:11 PM
"They were lettered Eastern Railroads and the words: Prop. E.P.C. stood for property of the Eastern President's Conference. If you have, or can borrow O Scale Railroading Run #107, you will find an article on the Fair's rolling stock written by Walt Hulseweder. The article includes photos of a boxcar and a stock car. To my great surprise I found that the stockcar sides appear to be identical to the cast aluminum sides used by Lobaugh in his stockcar kits! Incidently, Walt's article contradicts what I've always heard about the cars being painted on one side only. Who's to say who's correct? The tankcar in the photo evidently is in original condition with the correct number (according to Walt's car number list) and it has the original ball bearing trucks applied when the car was built. I have the PRR R-7 boxcar from the Fair. It had no original paint and I decided to paint it and use the excellent set of Protocals decals to letter the car. Unfortunately my car didn't have its original ball bearing trucks. I hope this information has been helpful.
John"

The author's write up on his boxcar almost sounds like George Washington's axe.
Head replaced twice, handle replaced three times, but it's George Washington's axe!

aeronca65t
08-07-2012, 06:25 AM
My Dad worked for Canadian National when they were just starting to get the big diesels (mid 50s). Mostly worked in the roundhouse in Toronto, but started out repairing track.

He also worked for London Transit on the "tubes".

So, I've always like trains.

But then, there are people who really, really, really like trains!!! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5a3GeyE9aY) :laugh:

sd80mac7204
08-07-2012, 08:29 AM
I resemble that remark!

bgbassplyr
08-07-2012, 10:55 PM
I have some late 30's, very early 40's Lionel trains, a draw bridge, and other assorted trackside stuff if anyone is interested.

TOC
08-07-2012, 11:16 PM
Interested. PM