PDA

View Full Version : GT6 Turning GT6+ brake drums

Hoodat
07-31-2012, 11:27 PM
Hello all,
Been lurking and learning here for a while; now a question I can't find an answer to here or elsewhere on the Web: What is the maximum diameter to which the GT6 drums can be turned? The machinist at the local NAPA shop sez he's not sure he can find the specs. I can't find any dimensions stamped on the drums.
TIA for the dimension or suggestions on where to look for it.
Chuck

hondo402000
08-01-2012, 02:23 PM
can you purchase new one fairly cheap?

Hondo

jsfbond
08-01-2012, 02:29 PM
That is why we got rid of our brake lathe at the parts store, we hardly ever turned rotors and drums because the price came down so much. Throw-away society.

hondo402000
08-01-2012, 02:33 PM
the price dropped because everyone got the castings from china

Hondo

jsfbond
08-01-2012, 02:39 PM
We just had a sales mtg., and were informed that (commercially) nobody is making rotors in North America. The quality is there, but so are the jobs!

jsfbond
08-01-2012, 02:40 PM
Hello all,
Been lurking and learning here for a while; now a question I can't find an answer to here or elsewhere on the Web: What is the maximum diameter to which the GT6 drums can be turned? The machinist at the local NAPA shop sez he's not sure he can find the specs. I can't find any dimensions stamped on the drums.
TIA for the dimension or suggestions on where to look for it.
Chuck I will look at my drums tonight (they are in good shape) and see if there is any info to be found.

hondo402000
08-01-2012, 05:44 PM
We just had a sales mtg., and were informed that (commercially) nobody is making rotors in North America. The quality is there, but so are the jobs!

yea and most of our foundries were forced into shutting down because of our wonderful government and the EPA. no wonder companies outsource

I will leave it a that

Hondo

JImEgan
08-01-2012, 06:11 PM
Here you go
https://www.triumph.org.uk/cgi-bin/forum10/Blah.pl?m-1193326975/

Jim

Hoodat
08-01-2012, 08:27 PM
Thanks, JimEgan. I'll see if that's good enough for the machinist. He was making noises about liability issues last week....
Chuck

TR3driver
08-02-2012, 07:56 AM
yea and most of our foundries were forced into shutting down because of our wonderful government and the EPA. no wonder companies outsource

I will leave it a that

I won't. The steel foundries had <span style="font-weight: bold">years</span> to clean up their act and install furnaces that were less polluting (and cheaper to operate). Instead <span style="font-weight: bold">they chose</span> to continue operating the old open hearth furnaces that were making such a mess of that entire area. The EPA didn't shut down the open hearth furnaces until it became obvious that the steel companies were never going to do it on their own.

I used to live in the area, I've seen the perpetually orange-brown air, the effects of acid rain on practically everything, the thick carpet of dead fish on Lake Michigan. The lake has recovered somewhat, but at one time it was thought to be permanently "dead".

It's an ill bird that fouls it's own nest; but that is exactly what they were doing.

Oh, and steel production still isn't exactly dead in the US. We produced almost 100,000,000 tons of raw steel last year. That's a little off from it's historical peak of 130 million tons, but not by much.

70herald
08-02-2012, 04:19 PM
I used to live in the area, I've seen the perpetually orange-brown air, the effects of acid rain on practically everything, the thick carpet of dead fish on Lake Michigan. The lake has recovered somewhat, but at one time it was thought to be permanently "dead".

I remember going through Gary Indiana in the '70s. There is a good reason it is (was?) called the armpit of America.
The last time I drove through about 10 years ago the air no longer stank or burned your eyes.