PDA

View Full Version : TVR with Essex V-6 engine question

Bob60
07-31-2012, 08:37 AM
I may have the opportunity to purchase a TVR with the UK produced Ford Essex V-6 engine. In doing a bit of research I have found that, apparently this particular engine was never used in any mass-produced car imported into the US. The mid-'70's Capris used the German made Cologne V-6, and the Canadian produced Ford Essex engine is quite different from the UK manufactured one.

Because of this, is it going to be a major hassle just getting simple things like distributor caps, water pumps, starters etc., etc. for an engine that was never imported in mass to this country?

Would love to hear from anyone with a TVR with one of these engines.

Bob

jessebogan
07-31-2012, 12:46 PM
Worse case is to buy parts in the UK. The engines are lively, and about bulletproof. The Taimars, and 3000S's in the US are great cars, faster and more rambunctious that the 2500s (sorry 2500 owners...)There was a triple weber option on the Capris if you want to go faster... If you are worried about parts availability, buy ahead of time. Stock a water pump, set of VC gaskets, none are particularly expensive,and if you have the parts, you will probably never need them.

Bob60
07-31-2012, 01:05 PM
Thanks for your thoughts - I've actually ordered stuff for my Land Rover Series 111 from the UK and it's not that big of a deal, just not something you can expect 2 day delivery on. I'm mainly worried about the constant hassle of simple things like points, rotor, caps, belts, hoses, all the little stuff that could just be aggravating.

Bob

zapparacing
08-01-2012, 06:13 PM
Parts are easy and cheap. These engines have a ton of torque for a V6 and sound great. Here's our 3L V6 Essex in the TVR race car

https://www.youtube.com/v/VYFg__O8D0w__O8D0w" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Don Lattimer
09-09-2012, 09:49 PM
Make sure the engine is post 1970 (sump in rear). Pre 1970 (sump in front) engines are harder to get parts for, especially performance parts. I have a pre 1970 Essex in my Marcos. You can find parts but not quite the selection as there is for the post 1970 engines.

https://www.burtonpower.com/tuning-guides/tuning-guide-pages/ford-essex-v4-v6-tuning-guide.html

Steve
09-24-2012, 10:27 PM
I agree, those Essex V6s are bulletproof, and made in enormous numbers. Parts availability is not an issue for the later engines.