PDA

View Full Version : TR6 TR6 Roadster Conversion?

milemarker60
03-10-2005, 06:11 PM
O.K., I've been a long time lurker and finally have a question I cannot seem to get answered in the archives. I'm in process of a frame-off resto on my '73 TR6 and I am doing it "my way", not for "show".

I have been considering leaving the convertible top off the car and converting it to more of a "roadster" top that can be stowed away in the trunk along with the frame (like an early TR4). Anybody out there ever seen this done? Will a TR4 windshield and top possibly work? My wife is really the one pushing me to have a top available for those unforseen weather situations and she does have a point. A tonneau really only helps when parked!

Anyway, I would greatly appreciate any input.

Dave DeWalt

Geo Hahn
03-10-2005, 08:39 PM
I would think you would need a TR4 windscreen, rear 3-piece capping and hood sticks (top bows or frame). On a TR4 the frame as you call it does nt stow in the boot, it folds back and is covered by interior pieces. Depending on what you do with the interior you might also want a set of those rear seat covers from a 4.

Interesting idea. I personally like the fully removable top because I live where a top is seldom needed unless it is for shade... but the folded top does take up boot space. I made a shallow wooden box for mine so it is still easy to stow stuff in the boot without damaging the top or having to take it out to get at things.

Banjo
03-10-2005, 09:18 PM
The TR4 windscreen is intrechangable to the 6. The main differance is the capping on the top. You could get away with just changing out that aluminium cap. And the rear capping and stuff like Geo Hahn said. He's also right about the top frame. It just folds back and gets covered by the interior flaps. Even the TR2 and 3 did that. but being that it's only the frame and not the top material as well, it does take up much less space in the cockpit when stowed. Best of luck in your resto, Guv'na

trrdster2000
03-10-2005, 09:27 PM
Dave, everybody forgot to mention that it also looks neat. Wayne

milemarker60
03-10-2005, 10:15 PM
Good info! O.K., I'll research the windshield capping as suggested, that would be awfuly easy. I appreciate the info about the top frame. I assumed it was removed like my Bugeye's so I will have to look into how the TR4's is mounted to the inner sides. I know that a lot of the TR6 "tub" shares its lineage with the TR4 so maybe the swap out of hardware won't be too dificult.

If anyone knows about the interchangeability of top frames between the TR4 and TR6 please chime in. Fabricating the covering panels shouldn't be difficult. I just like the look without all that bulky top mechanism taking up space in the parcel area and could certainly put the vacant room to good use. Also, it should make my rollbar/cage easier to fabricate since I plan to extend the rear legs back through the rear bulkhead to tie into the frame in the trunk area.

Thanks again and keep the ideas coming.

Dave DeWalt

VanHalenMan
03-12-2005, 05:52 PM
Hello there, Milemarker60... I live in overland park on the weekdays, I have a 74 TR6, I'd like to see your top when youre finished, I love the idea as well...

I don't like the look of the conv. top.

I want the hardtop so bad.

milemarker60
03-14-2005, 02:03 PM
VanHalenMan, send me an e-mail off post. I don't see yours listed. Dave

jeff3113
03-14-2005, 07:37 PM
I would be very interested in the surrey style setup.

I've been saving several pictures of them on TR's in hopes that I could fabricate one. I'd sure be interested in knowing where they can be purchased.

Jeff3113

Banjo
03-15-2005, 12:59 AM
Milemarker60, I compared the TR4 top frame with the TR6 and it looks like they spread out the bolt pattern where the frame mounts to the body on the 6. I'm sure some minor fabrication would take care of that. Other than that, the cockpit opening is the same size, and with the other parts mentioned above you should be able to do the swap, no problem.
The TR4 frame is very close to a TR3 frame.(to spot the difference, the 4 frame has a jog in the lower part of the main bow on its way down to the pivot, the 3 is perfectly straight) It has three bows that fold togeather and pivot at the body. The front of the top is held to the windscreen by way of hooking a bar that runs inside the top material, under a channel in the header panal on the windscreen, and fastening two snaps on the ends. This setup has been known to come loose at speed, but you're only wanting it for emergency use so that shoulden't be an issue.
The TR4A had a really clunky folding frame that was closer to the 6 ( I know, I have 2) and the 250 was the same as a 6
jeff3113, Good luck finding a surry top. I may be wrong, but I don't believe anyone is currently producing all of the surry top parts (some are available but not all). The rear window frame was cast aluminium. your best bet is e-bay or scrounge the internet or put out some wanted ads on british car sites. It won't be cheap, unless you get really lucky.

milemarker60
03-15-2005, 05:55 PM
Great Info. I'm really starting to believe this project will work without too much trouble. I have a TR4 Frame coming so I can identify the necessary changes to be made either to it or the mounts on the body. Windshield capping, no problem. Door windows? Are my TR6's the same as the early TR4? By that I mean, will the windows line up with the TR4 Top? And lastly, I will be replacing the entire interior so why not buy a TR4 Panel Kit which would include the frame stowage pieces. Does anyone know if all the interior panels are interchangable between the TR4 and the TR6?

Thanks again, Dave DeWalt
davedewalt@everestkc.net

Banjo
03-15-2005, 06:25 PM
the windows are the same, I believe.(even if it's slightly different the TR4 top is a rough fit even on a 4) but the inner door panals are different. they slightly moved the window crank position. I put 6 door panals in my 4A but I had to fabricate some aluminium discs do cover the offset holes. other than that the only real difference is in the trim. Door pulls, window cranks, etc...