PDA

View Full Version : Rear Speaker Placement E Type

Jeff
09-29-2002, 10:29 AM
Any suggestions for rear speakers to fit behind the seats of a 68 OTS? Don't want to do any cutting.

Lee
09-29-2002, 10:07 PM
Jeff,
Like you, I wanted the installation to be reversible...so I made two plywood boxes with open bottoms and sides contoured to fit the panel above the bulkhead behind the seats, and a slightly recessed front panel large enough to accept 6" x 9" speakers, and covered them in vinyl that matches the interior trim. I did drill two small holes on each side of the rear bulkhead to secure the boxes by means of screws inserted from the boot, but this disfigurement was about the least I could get away with.

The speakers sound pretty good, although the boxes aren't large enough to provide "bass reflex" volume. The positioning of the boxes makes getting to the boot release less convenient, but certainly not impossible; and obviously there's less room behind the seats to carry the odd item of luggage. The speakers fall just below the hood boot when it's fitted, so the sound isn't blocked off.

Gene
10-17-2002, 08:37 AM
I went to one of those big displays in an electronics store and found speakers that fit the original space that sounded adequate to me. They don't supply the currently popular sound but I don't like that anyway!

jagxke46
10-17-2002, 08:49 AM
I bolted two small spkr boxes with good quality spkrs by using the two chrome thumbnail screws that hold the divider between back of seats and storage area (coupe)upright to hold brackets.
Worked great and held spkrs high enough to project forward over seats at the outer corners of the seats.

rulle7
10-17-2002, 02:03 PM
I had a similar problem with my Mini many
years ago. I got a pair of "box" speakers,
designed to be placed under the seats.
I remember they sounded great and if they
fit under Mini seats they'd fit under almost
anything, I reckon. I have no idea about make,
but there must be something like it on the market
somewhere. images/icons/cool.gif