PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire 78 Spitfire fuel problems

Switherenbank
07-22-2012, 10:06 PM
After sitting for 9 months, my spitfire is stuttering when I press the gas pedal. (single carb CDSE) I should mention it did run for about 40km before I had this problem.

This problem has a hollow air leak sound with it whenever I hit the gas. The car usually sorts itself out again when I let it idle.

From a bit of research I've decided I should take apart the carb and see if the problem isn't inside. But I thought I would check in with some people who know more about this than me first.

TR3driver
07-22-2012, 11:15 PM
Did you check the oil in the dashpot (big nut on top of the carb)? That sounds most likely to me.

If it's like the earlier CDSE2 carbs, there is a seal on the mixture adjustment, that lets the oil leak out when it gets tired. You can either keep filling it, or take the carb apart to replace the O-ring. IIRC the O-ring is not included in the rebuild kits, but is a standard, readily available size.

Switherenbank
07-23-2012, 12:24 AM
I think I'll take the thing apart, The ring your talking about is on the bottom right? by the float chamber? or do you mean on the top my the damper?

TR3driver
07-23-2012, 06:37 AM
It's down inside the damper. This drawing is for a TR6 (CDSE 175), but I assume the 150 is similar.

Switherenbank
07-23-2012, 06:41 PM
What I have there is that the needle was out too far because the retaining screw wasnt tight enough, the garage who last rebuilt it left the screw head broken so I need to drill it out.

The gold case the needle comes out of was coming out of the whole piston, that seems to be the only problem I can find there. I'm going to give the garage a call.

TR3driver
07-23-2012, 08:17 PM
You shouldn't need to drill even if the screw head is stripped (which is easy to do, it's just relatively soft brass). Remove the needle & carrier then stick a suitable rod in the hole and tap the screw and retaining clip out through the tube.

IIRC, last time I used an unsharpened #2 pencil, and rapped the end of it on the bench to drive the screw out.