PDA

View Full Version : Interweb access question

JPSmit
07-19-2012, 07:23 PM
So computer folk, tonight's question. We have cable internet - for months at a time it is rock solid and then for no apparent reason, two or three or four times a day the Internet gets dropped. The solution - always- is to go upstairs, unplug the modems, count to 30 and plug them in again. Then, just as mysteriously, after a few days or weeks, it gets steady again. We are currently in one of the unstable phases. I have called my provider, but, we have their modem and then a wireless modem which we own. (Theirs has a wireless modem built in but it is disabled as it had no range at all) So, whenever I call, much to my surprise, :rolleyes: the problem is always with the modem we own and never with the modem they own - imagine! Bottom line, no help there.

any thoughts?

SilentUnicorn
07-19-2012, 08:27 PM
I have DSL,and basically the same deal. Every now and then The router needs a reboot. No rhyme or reason to it. Could be 6-8 months between and then twice in the same week. I kinda figure it is just glitches that land down line from what ever maintenance they do.

m

JPSmit
07-19-2012, 09:27 PM
I have DSL,and basically the same deal. Every now and then The router needs a reboot. No rhyme or reason to it. Could be 6-8 months between and then twice in the same week. I kinda figure it is just glitches that land down line from what ever maintenance they do.

m

I don't mind twice in the same week, here it is more like 2-5 times a day when it is happening.

bgbassplyr
07-19-2012, 10:41 PM
I'm having the same problems. Reckon they are just screwing with us?

NutmegCT
07-20-2012, 05:55 AM
JP - do your neighbors also have cable internet? Do they lose their signal at the same time you do?

Tom

DrEntropy
07-20-2012, 05:57 AM
Good first diag, Tom!!

If not, press the company for a replacement modem. If yes, ask for fee reduction. :shocked:

PAUL161
07-20-2012, 08:21 AM
Sun spots! Has to be sun spots! Temp yesterday was 106, Sun spots again. A few thousand years ago, the Mayans said our computers wouldn't work right this week and if the temp gets to 100 degrees, it'll be hot outside! Has to be sun spots. Check it out on Snopes, their always right you know. :jester:

drooartz
07-20-2012, 08:29 AM
We had some similar issues here. In our case it was not a modem issue but an issue with low/noisy line signal coming into the house. Cable company wound up running a new line from their box to our house that seems to have cleared up the issue.