PDA

View Full Version : Cigars anyone??!

Peter Joe
09-14-2002, 12:28 AM
My dad, through all of the years I knew him, loved looking at used cars. One day in particular, I was with him and he stopped at a Foreign Used Car lot. Amongst the row of cars, there were a couple of unusual ones which happened to be Jaguar XKE coupes. I was only about 6 or 7 years old at the time, and those Jaguars were sure unusual looking. So, I asked my dad what kind of cars they were. He very matter of factly said <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>they are cigars! [/QUOTE). Being young and impressionable, I took that quite literally. It was some years later that I had an argument with a friend as to what kind of cars they were, and I adamently told my friend,[QUOTE]those are cigars! <hr></blockquote>, no ifs ands or buts about it! I believe it was my friends dad that finally set me straight and told me that those cars were in fact Jaguars.
How could my dad lead me astray? Does anyone know if Jaguars ever had a nickname [QUOTE]cigars(/QUOTE)?

StevenA
09-15-2002, 11:49 AM
I have never heard the term used as a "name" for a Jaguar. Only used as a descriptive name for Scarab boats. I can certainly understand the reference as can anyone who views an E-type.
I am now wondering if "we" should publish a list or a multi-page book of "nick-names" for automobiles and other vehicles.
"boat-tail", "muscle-cars", "bug-eye", etc.
Cheers, Steve

Peter Joe
09-15-2002, 08:11 PM
Thanks for weeding through my obviously new training in HTML and responding.

RE:
My dad, through all of the years I knew him, loved looking at used cars. One day in particular, I was with him and he stopped at a Foreign Used Car lot. Amongst the row of cars, there were a couple of unusual ones which happened to be Jaguar XKE coupes. I was only about 6 or 7 years old at the time, and those Jaguars were sure unusual looking. So, I asked my dad what kind of cars they were. He very matter of factly said "they are cigars!"
Being young and impressionable, I took that quite literally. It was some years later that I had an argument with a friend as to what kind of cars they were, and I adamently told my friend "those are cigars!", no ifs ands or buts about it! I believe it was my friends dad that finally set me straight and told me that those cars were in fact Jaguars.
How could my dad lead me astray? Does anyone know if Jaguars ever had a nickname "cigars"?

RF Thom
11-13-2002, 12:57 AM
Your confusion can be easily explained if you look at the nomanclature on the dash of an early E-Type under the switchs. Under the lighter it doesn't say 'cigarette' it has 'CIGAR'.

Regards, Bob

JBsC5
11-17-2002, 09:57 AM
I don't know if your dad owned this most beautiful of cars but I bet as he sat back at night sometimes puffing on his cigar..he thought to himself..Thats the car he wanted..

Maybe thats how coined the term.