PDA

View Full Version : My tach stopped working

tntriumph59
06-07-2012, 07:56 PM
Hey guys and gals,

I have 59 TR3a and I noticed a few days ago that the tach wasn't working. Where would you guys start in diagnosing this? It worked off and on before, but now it is just dead.

Thanks,
Andrew

Marvin Gruber
06-07-2012, 08:25 PM
Have you checked the cable. Unscrew the cable at the base of the distributor, then see if the end of the drive cable is intact, if so then check the end at the tach. You will be able to pull the drive cable out from the tach end. Check for lenght and if broken. Hopefully if will just be the cable.

Marv

tntriumph59
06-07-2012, 08:52 PM
Thanks. I will give it a shot.

hondo402000
06-08-2012, 05:02 AM
if its not the cable, I would pack it up and send it off to one of the reputable gauge guys, I had a spare tach I purchased off ebay and took it apart to see what was wrong( Like I alway do) any totally messed it up, not that I needed it, the one in my TR6 always bounced around by 500 rpm, I sent it off to one company, and they did a great job fixing it and its steady as a rock

they did the spedo too and it works great too

Hondo

tntriumph59
06-08-2012, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the advice. Would you happen to know the info for those companies?

Marvin Gruber
06-08-2012, 10:04 PM
I have two or three working TR3 tachs in case you need one. Just PM and we'll talk.

Marv

tdskip
06-08-2012, 10:52 PM
Merv's got one extra of everything!

Before sending the gauge out it is worth making sure the cable spins freely and, as mentioned, is tight. They will bind over time and cheaper to replace than a tach rebuild (especially if it isn't necessary).

Keep us posted.

tntriumph59
06-09-2012, 09:32 PM
I will keep you up to date. I worked on it today, but did not have time to pull the cable off. Thanks for the comments.

donbmw
06-10-2012, 09:50 AM
I had my tach do the same thing last year. When I had the tooth break in the transmission Iwas going to send the tack off for repair. But I found the end of the cable had broken off just inside the tach drive. When I first looked at the cable it was turning and the end looked like there was enogh coming out of the cable housing to drive the tach. Take your tach out and stick something in the drive end that you can also chuck in a drill and operate the tach and this will tell that the tach is still working.

tntriumph59
06-10-2012, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the input. I didn't get a chance to take a look at it this weekend, guess it will have to wait till next Saturday.