PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Tank Sealer

KVH
06-01-2012, 05:58 PM
Shucks. I'm not the perfectionist I try to be.

I went ahead and did an incredible job preparing my fuel tank for the US Standard Fuel Tank Sealer, then managed somehow not to mix the solution thoroughly enough. (yes, I'm an adult, but the "Stir Thoroughly" direction was not under the "Directions." It was under the "Combustible" warning on the opposite side of the can. You know--combustible so please don't use this until you stir thoroughly).

I now have an absolutely beautiful looking tank but underestimated the difficulty draining the excess sealer out of the sender hole and I have a small area of hardened "clumpiness" (2 inches by 7 inches) from the inadequately mixed solution.

Sort of like you'd see if you poured hot wax over some fine chips of gravel, nothing more than a few millimeters in size.

My options are to buy a new tank, or relax in the extreme confidence that the sealer gets so hard the clumpy area will be irrelevant.

My concern, of course, other than crying in front of my wife, is that if anything flicks off, it will clog my fuel line.

Any thoughts on whether I could add a fuel filter near the tank as a precaution? That would mean one before and one after the fuel pump, and that may impede proper flow.

POR 15 folks say the stuff should be hard enough without worrying about the relatively small area of clumpiness.

Any thoughts or experiences with this would be appreciated. thx

trrdster2000
06-01-2012, 06:10 PM
KVH, I wouldn't worry if the clump is not separated from the tank or flexible.
Once that stuff gets hard it's like having a tank inside of a tank and the only thing to brake it loose is a F-150, don't ask how I know.

Wayne

tdskip
06-01-2012, 10:29 PM
I'd expect it was fine.

dklawson
06-02-2012, 07:38 AM
Even with the coating cured and hardened, it is still a good idea to put a filter immediately after the fuel tank. After all... most cars have/had a strainer filter inside the tank that must be removed when you use the tank coatings.

I went to the bling aisle of the local parts store and bought the see-through glass and chrome filter that uses the replaceable mesh elements. Those are coarser filters than normal paper element filters. They introduce a lower pressure drop than a paper filter and that's what you want on the suction side of a pump. I also use a disposable paper element filter right before the carbs.