PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A tr3 engine

danbateman
05-30-2012, 07:01 PM
got the float chambers fixed now starts runs rought on number 3 piston removed plug wire no change in running removed plug wet with gas soaked white spark is white all others are firing. exhaust is too rich a smell of gas #3 piston has enought pressure to blow of finger. any ideas where to start now

TR3driver
05-30-2012, 07:15 PM
I'd probably start by switching the #3 plug with #1. Sometimes, when plugs are badly fouled and you fix the problem causing the fouling, it melts into a slick deposit that shorts out the plug. If it still won't run in #1 (which is currently running), replace the plug.

Check that the jet is up against the mixture nut (I assume you released the choke after it started). If it is still way too rich, then most likely you still have a float bowl problem.

danbateman
06-04-2012, 06:17 PM
changed coil spark changed a little what would a good spark look like. blue and strong snap measured .compression 1 150 2 100 3and 4 130 what should be normal put front on ramps oil fast drip out of inspection plate could this be rear seal thank for the help

CJD
06-04-2012, 11:20 PM
I'm having trouble following. A little punctuation goes a long way.

I'm getting that your high compression is 150psi, and low is 100. That is too much difference. Try spraying oil in each cylinder to see if they balance out. If not, you've got an internal problem with the motor.

John

TomMull
06-05-2012, 07:58 AM
If tune up is not fresh, I'd change points, condenser, rotor and cap. Wires too if they have any age to them. Make sure gaps are correct and check timing. Check dashpot oil too.
Tom

bobhustead
06-05-2012, 02:39 PM
Oil leak could well be the rear seal. They are not plastic but a set of aluminum baffles that catch oil and drain it back to the pan.
They leak. While your compression variations are unacceptable, that is probably not why #3 is not running. Plug, plug wire or shorting distr. cap are most likely. You do need to find the problem with compression though. As suggested by John, redo the compression test after squirting a decent slug of oil into each cylinder.This serves to improve the seal of the rings if they are the source of the problem. If this does not significantly improve the compression, the problem is probably valves or head gasket.
Bob

luke44
06-05-2012, 06:20 PM
A long shot but also check your valve clearances - be sure valves are fully closing...

But my gut says electrical - swap over plugs as earlier suggested to eliminate that variable.

Compression variable is more than you would like to see, but not the problem.,