PDA

View Full Version : Radiator Fan Bolts - need quick help

RJS
05-27-2012, 11:41 AM
Hi All,

I'm in the middle of remounting my radiator fan with new hardware. Quick question, how tight do I torque the mounting bolts?

My question is b/c I know the rubber bushings in there are supposed to provide some vibration damping to the hub. And, if I crank it down too tight, do I defeat the purpose of the rubber bushings?

I can tighten them to just snug. Or, crank them down fairly tight. Either way, the tab washer will lock the bolts in place once I bend the tabs up against the bolt heads

Thanks for a speedy reply

Bob

TR3driver
05-27-2012, 11:51 AM
There should be steel sleeves inside the rubber bushings; the bolts pull down against the sleeves. At least that is the arrangement on the earlier TRs, I assume it is the same for a 4A. 8-10 ftlb should do.

RJS
05-27-2012, 11:56 AM
Thanks Randall,

Yep, got the steel sleeves in there. I just checked my Bentley manual which advises 16-18 ft/lbs. I have a torque wrench but, I think it is a large 1/2" drive unit. So, it may not be sensitive enough.

Anyway, 16-18 sounds moderately tight. More than "just snug" but less than "cranking them down".

Thanks for jumping right on this.

Bob

Geo Hahn
05-27-2012, 03:34 PM
Do you have a pair of locking plates/tabs for those bolts?

Item 60 on this page:

https://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=36459

RJS
05-27-2012, 05:40 PM
Yep, got the whole fan mounting kit from TRF. Comes with everything. Part no. RFK538.

Cheers

Bob