PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3B gear shift lever

TFB
05-27-2012, 09:14 AM
I removed my gear shifter assembly from my trans to install on my new overdrive transmission.After cleaning I realised the bottom of the lever has a small hole,about 3/16,drilled in one edge of the flattened out end.Is this hole oriented front or back,or doesnt matter?
Also while I have it apart ,what is the shifter anti-rattle trick?I recall suggestions of rubber hose on lower
lever.
Any other suggestions on proper reinstall of lever assembly appreciated.
Thanks
Tom

TR3driver
05-27-2012, 09:50 AM
There is supposed to be a small spring and plunger in that hole. I don't know that it matters, but I install the lever with the plunger to the rear.

https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/ubbthreads.php/topics/524501/Dreaded_Stick_Shift_Rattle

TFB
05-27-2012, 10:18 AM
Thanks Randall for the link and attachment.I looked at plate K in 4th edition spares catalog and no spring/plunger shown,but now I seee Moss shows the anti rattle spring and plunger.
Thanks again
Tom

TR3driver
05-27-2012, 10:29 AM
Yeah, you can't always trust the illustrations in the SPC. In this case, the illustration shows the early, two-piece shift lever, which didn't use the spring and plunger.

But if you check the text, they are listed.

TFB
05-27-2012, 10:38 AM
Thanks Randall,I have noticed that even though its 1962 revised,some illustrations seem of earlier years.
Tom

TR3driver
05-27-2012, 11:55 AM
I don't know of any revisions to the illustrations; they only updated the text. But the illustrations were not 100% complete even for the early cars. The illustrations were meant only to, well, illustrate; not to be complete references.

6TTR3A
05-27-2012, 07:20 PM
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/6TTR3A/illus.jpg

Standard Triumph designed a fix for the persistent rattle in the gearshift column, which is discussed in some repair manuals. It’s called the “anti-rattle” spring & plunger. Unfortunately it doesn’t completely solve the problem.

Try this: Remove the gearshift lever knob and boot. Remove the top cover bolt & cover together with the inner cover and spring. Take a piece of heater hose 7/8” long and 5/8” inside diameter. (Common item at your parts store) Slide the piece down over the gearshift lever until it comes in contact with the fulcrum ball. Reassemble & you’re done!!