PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A Is stock TR3A windshield tinted or clear?

TuffTR250
05-24-2012, 05:00 PM
Is the stock windshield on a TR3A with a VIN of TS67xxxL tinted or clear? Thanks!
Regards,
Bob

mallard
05-24-2012, 07:18 PM
Clear

CJD
05-24-2012, 08:01 PM
The sidescreens are another story. As they age they change from clear to a dark brown tint...confused me till I saw that all the original became "age" tinted.

John

Geo Hahn
05-24-2012, 08:54 PM
Mine is tinted but it not original -- in fact I'm not sure I have seen an original windscreen. Couldn't find a reference in the TRA judging manual on this.

The tint on mine is subtle -- not dark along the top edge, just a faint tint thru the entire windscreen.

tinman58
05-24-2012, 09:18 PM
Mine has a slight green tint.

mrv8q
05-24-2012, 11:51 PM
From the MGExperience:

TRIPLEX windows manufactured in the 1950's through the late 1970's can be dated with the 'TRIPLEX CODE' stamped into the glass.

Assuming that your car has the original glass, it can be used to fairly accurately date your car.

If you know the decade your car was produced, just look for two dots in the TRIPLEX logo on the glass.

One dot above T, R, E, or X gives the quarter of the year the glass was manufactured:

T is Jan, Feb, March,
R is April, May, June,
E is July Aug, Sept, and
X stands for Oct, Nov, Dec.
To find the year of manufacture, look at the nine letters in the word TOUGHENED.
One dot below a letter gives the year of the decade:

T is 1,
O is 2,
U is 3,
G is 4,
etc.
If there is no dot, the year is a zero.

This code also works if you have a TRIPLEX window with the word LAMINATED instead of TOUGHENED.

angelfj1
05-25-2012, 06:16 AM
THANKS Kevin I've never seen that code info before. :bow:

TuffTR250
05-25-2012, 07:12 AM
Thanks!! Good information!
Regards,
Bob

Andrew Mace
05-25-2012, 09:44 AM
The date coding changed, supposedly around January 1969, to indicate the month rather than just the quarter, as follows:

Jan: TRIPLEX (dot over the T)

Feb: TRIPLEX (dot over the R)

Mar: TRIPLEX (dot over the E)

Apr: TRIPLEX (dot over the X)

May: TRIPLEX (double dot over T)

Jun: TRIPLEX (double dot over the T & dot over the R)

Jul: TRIPLEX (double dot over the T & dot over the E)

Aug: TRIPLEX (double dot over the T & dot over the X)

Sep: TRIPLEX (dot over the T & double dot over the X)

Oct: TRIPLEX (dot over the R & double dot over the X)

Nov: TRIPLEX (dot over the E & double dot over the X)

Dec: TRIPLEX (double dot over the X)

The dots over the letters LAMINATED or TOUGHENED did not change from the previous system.

Don Elliott
05-25-2012, 10:10 AM
I bought my 1958 TR3A brand new in May, 1958 and the front windsheild was clear. Now after 54 years, the one I have had on for 7 years is the fourth one and they have always been clear. Moss Europe sells all sorts - clear, tinted etc.

You put on what you like unless you want to study what the TRA judges will accept as "original".