PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3 Water pumps again....

karls59tr
05-23-2012, 02:47 PM
Apron and rad are out....I gave the water pump pulley a spin ...feels a little notch when turning and scraping noise.....if the pump was good you wouldn't hear anything when the pulley spins correct? Probably the bearing going.... I should probably replace the pump now while I'm in there. Would an overtightened fan belt cause premature bearing failure or do they just wear out over time. No grease zero on this pump!

karls59tr
05-23-2012, 02:48 PM
that's " grease zerK"

TR3driver
05-23-2012, 03:22 PM
Double-check that the pulley isn't dragging against the pump casting. Some of the aftermarket castings are a bit thicker and have enough flash that the pulley will rub on them, which can seem like a bad bearing.

The seal is a face-type seal, so it can present a small amount of noise and resistance to spinning. But it should still be smooth. If the pulley isn't contacting the casting, I'd use a new pump.

But, it's not that hard to change the pump with everything else installed. Somewhat easier with the radiator and apron out of the way, but I wouldn't call it an "while I'm in there" thing like the steering box and timing cover.

BTW, when you go back and read your post, there should be an 'Edit' button available at the bottom, which will let you go back and correct typos, etc.

Geo Hahn
05-23-2012, 04:45 PM
Double-check that the pulley isn't dragging against the pump casting...

And if it is, some light work with a grinder will remove the offending metal.

sp53
05-24-2012, 01:28 AM
Yes if the belt is too tight it will wear out the bearings quickly, of course it depends on how tight. I once toasted the pulley itself in 24 hours, and the bearing held up. The belts on these things can be a real pain. Sometimes they squeak because they are out of alignment from the factory. So if you tightened it up too tight to stop the squeaking it will stop it, but at a price. I found the old belts without the little notches are less prone to squeaking and actually not too tight and with some quality sticky stuff, not wd40 or silicone.