PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3 Timing chain cover scroll seal......

karls59tr
05-23-2012, 08:58 AM
I know this was discussed previously but I can't find the link. Looking for tips on scroll seal installation. Thx Karl

karls59tr
05-23-2012, 09:12 AM
My error. I meant "Speedi Sleeve" Installation for leaky timing cover seal.

TR4nut
05-23-2012, 11:55 AM
Karl-

Hardest part is pulling the front hub - once off, just clean up the surface of the hub, then use the installation tool provided with the sleeve to tap it in place. There is a flange that is part of the sleeve that can be taken off after installation - slightly tricky but just make a cut on it and you can peel it off similar to taking of an old pop top.

Two parts that I know of can be made to work for this application:

99174:Shaft Size Min=1.747", Shaft Size Max=1.753", Width=0.563", Overall Width=0.688
or

99175:Shaft Size Min=1.747", Shaft Size Max=1.753", Width=0.75", Overall Width=0.875

The wider 99175 I think is superior - you can tap it on and you don't even have to remove the installation flange from the installed seal.

Not sure what places like Moss provide, I found just getting the seal directly from Napa etc is a cheaper option.

Randy

TR3driver
05-23-2012, 12:42 PM
:iagree:
I don't believe Moss even offered them when I got mine; but I suspect they offer the shorter one as that is what was listed in the CR (now SKF) application catalog.

You should be able to leave the flange in place even with the shorter sleeve, but you might have to not drive it all the way up against the shoulder. Measure and mark, so you can leave the sleeve centered over where the seal rides. I added a couple drops of Loctite "circular parts mount" just because I've got a great big bottle that I'll never use up, but it shouldn't be necessary.

Also, I learned that not all NAPA stores carry the same brand. One of my local stores said they couldn't even order a sleeve from CR, the other one said "No problem" and had it in about 4 days.

karls59tr
05-23-2012, 01:47 PM
Hi Randy thanks for the info. turns out I have the 99174. Just installed it. Is it necessary to remove the flange or can it be left on?

karls59tr
05-23-2012, 01:57 PM
Randal I sent my last post before reading yours about the flange.DOH! already driven it up to the shoulder so I'll have to check where it's going to ride now.