PDA

View Full Version : TR4/4A TR4 Gas Tank

KVH
05-21-2012, 03:19 AM
I don't like the look of mine; too many rust freckles, and evidence of repair--some concrete adhesive of some sort.

Buy a new tank or refurbish with POR15.

I'm leaning toward POR15, but what do you say . . .

Thanks as always.

Kleykamp
05-21-2012, 05:38 AM
Maybe someone will chime in, but there is a product out there that seals both the inside and outside of the tank. I would suggest if you restore the tank, you check that out. Doing the outside but having rust on the inside is only postponing the trouble. But then the concrete adhesive you mention may be the stuff I'm talking about. What I have seen coats the whole tank though.

HarryL
05-21-2012, 06:05 AM
I dropped mine off at Don Hart's Rad & gas tank repair-
located in Waller, Tx.(800-372-9107). Cleaned interior & exterior.
Coated both in & out. Check to see if there is a dealer near you
called "Gas Tank Renu, Inc." Cost about $400.
Harry

martx-5
05-21-2012, 06:37 AM
I dropped mine off at Don Hart's Rad & gas tank repair-
located in Waller, Tx.(800-372-9107). Cleaned interior & exterior.
Coated both in & out. Check to see if there is a dealer near you
called "Gas Tank Renu, Inc." Cost about $400.
Harry

You can get new ones on e-bay (https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=tr4+gas+tank& _sacat=0) for a lot less money...That's where I got mine for the TR3. I don't think those vendors are the same guy that I got mine from. He makes tanks for a lot of British cars and has a good reputation. I don't think this is an area to chintz on. I had a serviceable tank in my TR3, but it was almost fifty years old, and had rust inside and out. I didn't want to put good money after bad. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet in the interest of safety. Just my opinion...