PDA

View Full Version : Clutch slave travel

DaveC
05-20-2012, 12:06 AM
Does anyone know how far the clutch slave pushrod should move when working correctly?

I have put the transmission back in after fixing a major leak, putting in a new clutch, cover and to bearing. The clutch slave is also new but working before I removed the gearbox. I'm pretty sure i have the pushrod adjusted correctly to 0.1" free play. The clevis pin is in the lower hole on the arm, because when in the middle hole, it's clearly not aligning the pushrod correctly.

The problem is that when I depress the clutch pedal, the pushrod doesn't seem to move very far, perhaps 1/2". This intuitively doesn't feel far enough to move the clutch arm and fork sufficiently.

Help gratefully accepted
Dave

Kleykamp
05-20-2012, 06:30 AM
Dave, Welcome to my world! See details in "clutch nightmare continues" thread. The lever on mine moves from slightly forward of verticle to about30 degree angle rear of verticle and still no clutch.

Mickey Richaud
05-20-2012, 06:33 AM
Dave, Welcome to my world! See details in "clutch nightmare continues" thread. The lever on mine moves from slightly forward of verticle to about30 degree angle rear of verticle and still no clutch.

And welcome to the BCF! Good to have you aboard!

:cheers:
Mickey

TR4nut
05-20-2012, 08:18 AM
Dave-

Welcome as well - if you can post a picture it might help - I recommend you figure out the cause of the misalignment you mention - you should be using the middle hole. By using the bottom hole you are limiting the movement of the fork.

Randy

Kleykamp
05-20-2012, 08:29 AM
Dave,
Photo in my thread, from the owners manual, shows the bottom hole. Using middle hole for more travel sounds like phuzzy physics to me. But then, my clutch isn't working, so I'm obviously no expert.

TR4nut
05-20-2012, 09:03 AM
Top hole - least leverage, most movement. bottom hole, most leverage, least movement. Middle hole - just right!

Kleykamp
05-20-2012, 09:39 AM
Top hole - least leverage, most movement. bottom hole, most leverage, least movement. Middle hole - just right!
with ya. maybe I will try moving mine up and see if that helps my problem.

Geo Hahn
05-20-2012, 09:48 AM
...when I depress the clutch pedal, the pushrod doesn't seem to move very far, perhaps 1/2". This intuitively doesn't feel far enough to move the clutch arm and fork sufficiently...

I'm thinking mine moves about 5/8" and I am using the middle hole -- so your 1/2" doesn't sound too far off to me. Is the clutch not disengaging with that movement?

DaveC
05-20-2012, 11:30 PM
Thanks for the welcomes and the pointers.

Given all the info, I fear that the slave is not the issue, because the travel i have is normal. I fear that I may have the clutch plate in backwards, despite being careful. Having read Kleykamp's thread, and reviewed a couple of pics I took, I think this must be it. The clutch is just not disengaging.

What an idiot. :smile:
dave

Kleykamp
05-21-2012, 05:31 AM
Dave,
I feel your pain. I guess we just like taking the transmission out sooo much, that we sub-conciously screwed up. I can't wait to start again, but I'm going to take a little break and get my boat ready for the lake.

CJD
05-21-2012, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the welcomes and the pointers.

Given all the info, I fear that the slave is not the issue, because the travel i have is normal. I fear that I may have the clutch plate in backwards, despite being careful. Having read Kleykamp's thread, and reviewed a couple of pics I took, I think this must be it. The clutch is just not disengaging.

What an idiot. :smile:
dave

Been there...done that! Don't feel too bad. In every large operation you have to expect a few set-backs

John

DaveC
05-25-2012, 11:39 PM
Well I can hardly believe it. Enlisted the help of a friend, got the box out only to find the clutch plate was in correctly and everything else seemed fine too. Put it all back only to be back to square one, or at least where i was this morning.

Eventually, i decided it must only e the slave pushrod travel as everything else is right. I adjusted the master pushrod to maximize the pedal travel - the are no pedal stops on a Peerless.

And it worked. Dammit. I just wasted half a day of my life!!

Kleykamp
05-26-2012, 06:31 AM
All's well that ends well.