PDA

View Full Version : TR4/4A TR4A IRS Clamps, Belt and Suspenders?

JDstr4a
05-18-2012, 08:09 PM
Ok, I got the last of the stock exhaust pieces today, most of the spring planting is done, so it's time to make some decisions and get underway. I'm looking for a recommendation on exhaust clamps. Since I may want to put the quad tips on if they clean up ok, I would prefer something that doesn't crimp to much, in case I don't like the sound. Your experiences would be appreciated.

As for the Belt and Suspenders, Ive cleaned up the exhaust and intake manifolds and have all new gaskets. Should I use cement on either or both? I'm thinking a thin bead of permatex blue just to hold gaskets in place while I bolt things up.

Just as a reminder, I'm not restoring, she doesn't have 20k on, and the neighbors are already asking when she'll be back on the road. :nopity:

Thanks
JD

HerronScott
05-19-2012, 11:19 AM
I used the old fashioned exhaust clamps back in the old days, but there appear to be some new and "improved" designs out there now like the one below (Summit Racing). I have no experience though so maybe someone else here can comment on these or newer types of exhaust clamps.

https://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/sup-094-2000_w.jpg

And I would not use anything on the intake/exhaust gaskets.

Scott

JDstr4a
05-19-2012, 04:12 PM
Thanks Scott! I saw quite a few options for clamps when I reviewed the search results, and was wondering how they worked out. Thanks for the gasket comment, obviously it's been a while since I've done anything like this, so your feedback is appreciated.

I wire brushed the surface rust and general mouse nest mess off of both manifolds and wondered if the intakes was painted originally?
https://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n565/jdstr4airs/DSCN0571.jpg

JD

Geo Hahn
05-19-2012, 04:41 PM
... wondered if the intakes was painted originally?

Wasn't on a 3 or a 4... so I think it was not on a 4A.

JDstr4a
05-19-2012, 04:53 PM
Thanks. I'll just leave it for now, maybe someday...
I need to get her off the floor a little more (must have put on some girth over the winter) to do some cleanup before I try to put the exhaust back on. But for now it's Miller Time! :thirsty: