PDA

View Full Version : won't start ...ignition?

mgbmedic
05-18-2012, 07:47 PM
I converted the 58 TR3A to neg ground, installed a new wiring harness and pertronix ignition.Got spark, got fuel, tries to start but won't stay on. The ignition light does not come on. I did get a new ign switch and it has acc and start functions unlike the on/off original switch, so i may have that wired wrong. White wire from new harness going to positive side of coil along with red wire from pertronix, black wire to neg...is this correct?

TR3driver
05-18-2012, 08:55 PM
That much sounds right. Ignition light is probably a separate issue.

One thing to watch for, the Pertronix grounds through the point plate (just like the points did). That means the ground wire from the point plate to the mounting screw needs to be present and in good condition; plus the Pertronix module has to have good electrical contact (as well as good thermal contact) with the plate.

Also make sure you've got 12v on the white wire with the switch in "run". Kind of sounds like you might have the white wire on the "start" position (along with the white/red). PS, come to think of it, that might explain the ignition light, too.

mgbmedic
05-18-2012, 09:31 PM
Thanks randall, i'll look into it in the morning. I'm trying to get the car ready for a show here in Louisville, Ky in 2 weeks. It'll be close, but with the help of the good people of this forum, I think i'll make it.