PDA

View Full Version : asking for a friend

airlifter
05-16-2012, 08:45 PM
A friend of mine called me tonight and wanted do know the value of a 1966 TR4A. I told him I ask you guys.

The car has overdrive, both tops and wire wheels. The seller started the car while he was thee and he said that it did not smoke or make any unusual noises. The body looked pretty good and has been painted a maroon color but it was in a building and the light was not very good. The interior is black and looks pretty good.

I told him to get the car in the light and check for possible rust and check the frame.

The asking price is $4500. What do you think?

Andrew Mace
05-16-2012, 08:53 PM
Could be somewhere between "decent" and "steal"! But does your friend know what to look for and where to look in terms of rust, etc.? On the 4/4A, there's the obvious checking to see that the rear fender beading is still in place as opposed to the seam (and rust for 4" in either direction) being covered with filler? If IRS especially, does he know where to look for chassis rust? Or does he have someone who knows this stuff and can look for him?

airlifter
05-17-2012, 05:32 AM
I told him to get the car outside so he could get a better look and check for rust. I told him I would go with him when he went back but I am not sure where to check on these cars except for the floors, trunk and frame. Any help in this area would be appreciated.

You mentioned the beading on the rear fender beading. Is this between the fender and tub like a TR6? Are there any particular places on the chassis to check?

I don't know how much work my friend is capable of doing on the car himself. We all know how much time these cars can occupy. This could be another factor in making his decision.

He said the car was a TR4A IRS. What makes it different than a TR4? Stupid question I know but I am not familiar with these cars.

Thanks

martx-5
05-17-2012, 06:22 AM
This link (https://www.vtr.org/models.shtml) discusses the various Triumph models and there differences. Also, there's a buyer's guide in there that will give you a brief description of what to watch out for.

Geo Hahn
05-17-2012, 08:22 AM
...I am not sure where to check on these cars except for the floors, trunk and frame. Any help in this area would be appreciated...

Other possible spots are the rocker panels (sills), bottom portion of the front wings & the lower rear edge of the boot lid.

The 4A has an hour-glass shaped frame which is possibly not as rigid as the ladder-shaped frame of earlier TRs and thus more sensitive to any rust damage.

Yes, the referenced seam and beading are the same rust-prone spot as on the TR6.

I assume you know how to use a magnet to check for rust under newer paint work? I use a weak magnet (like some refrigerator magnets) wraped with enough layers of tape that it will not scractch the paint and just hold well on good metal with a normal layer of paint. Practice on your own car in a known good spot to get a feel for what that feels like. This approach (weak magnet) will let you assess not only major fill work but also if skim coats were used in some areas (not necessarily a bad thing but a thing you'd want to know).

DougF
05-17-2012, 08:51 AM
Does the overdrive work?

DanB
05-17-2012, 02:22 PM
From what we have heard so far...it runs..has overdrive...decent interior/exterior, the two tops, etc. then it sounds like it has all the options and $4500 is a good price. Even if there is a little rust and some needed repairs it wouldn't be too bad of a price. If there is minimal rust it is a steal.

Dan B
South Charleston, WV
66 TR4AIRS EFI
80 TR7 DHC

airlifter
05-17-2012, 09:14 PM
I don't know if the OD works. The present owner said he didn't now how it operated.

If I can go look at the car with my friend I will try to get more information.

HerronScott
05-17-2012, 10:26 PM
When you say 2 tops, you mean soft top and hardtop? And if hardtop, is it an aftermarket single piece hardtop or the factory 2-part "Surrey" top?

Scott

airlifter
05-20-2012, 12:27 PM
I don't know about the tops. I will post more information when I have it.

Thanksfor letting me know some of the things to look for.