PDA

View Full Version : More clutch ???

Kleykamp
05-13-2012, 05:02 PM
Trans out and inspecting parts to get ready to order as needed. The two clutch fork pins on the right and left side of the clutch fork, that go into the groove on the bearing sleeve...are they supposed to be flat on the facing side? I can't recall from prior clutch jobs. I have the taper pin out and it is cracked and worn. The two upper pins are flat on the front and I'm not sure if that is wear or design. It seems that nothing is moving against them to wear them flat, so I'm assuming they are flat by design. But, I also know what assuming does. Anyone that can tell me for certain? Thank, Joe

poolboy
05-13-2012, 06:00 PM
Mine were round.
https://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee300/poolboy_album/100_0329.jpg

Geo Hahn
05-13-2012, 06:12 PM
I believe that is wear.

If I recall correctly some folks take them out and rotate them 90* but replacements are certainly cheap.

bgbassplyr
05-13-2012, 10:34 PM
Can't rotate them....no hole for the taper pin.

Flats on the fork are factory, I just looked to be sure.

Kleykamp
05-13-2012, 10:43 PM
I think what Geo meant was to take the pins out and turn them around to the round side. At $1.45 each, I think I will order the new ones and then decide if I need them or not. OR, I could spend two days putting the transmission back in and try it out, then take it back out if I do need them :smile:.

CJD
05-14-2012, 08:46 AM
Mine were also round. If the pins are worn flat, the return spring will not pull the bearing as far from the clutch forks as it should when the clutch is released. This will make it challengineg to set the proper "play" in the linkage and could result in the bearing not fully disengaging from the clutch.

The amount of the fork pin wear also reduces the total travel of the bearing in operation of the clutch. The result is a bearing that is noisy when the clutch is disengaged, or a clutch that does not fully release, depending on how you adjust the clutch to account for the wear.

John

hondo402000
05-16-2012, 06:51 PM
I think there should be a roll pin thats perpendicular to the groove where those pins ride, bently book calls it an anti roll pin, which kept the whole T O bearing from spinning while engauged, if its missing thats why you have flats worn on those pins, when I installed my new clutch and Throw Out bearing, the new one didnt have the anti roll pin so I drilled a hole and installed one, sorry no pics for clarity

Hondo