PDA

View Full Version : TR6 TR6 Nissan Differental installation

hondo402000
05-12-2012, 12:08 PM
Well I am biting the bullet, again and going to install the Nissan 200 viscous limited slip differential, and only after I bought a rebuilt TR6 unit about 3 years ago and I am tired of the clunking/lunking of the original differential.

I found one from a 2000 Q45 with 90,000 miles on it, It feels really tight and looks like it is brand new with a little dirt on it, 350.00 I already have the CV half shafts. Anyone done the conversion and if so did you have the new differential unit checked by the Infinity place or any shop first? I will replace the front seal and since I took the front yoke off and didnt mark the nut in relation to the pinion I will have a shop install a front seal and set the preload once I get the front yoke machined to accept the TR6 Drive shaft flange

Looking forward to this project
and any positive comments
Hondo

KVH
05-12-2012, 02:31 PM
Didn't you already do all that on another car? You were giving me advice while I did mine. It was a great opportunity to weld on those extra support pieces, clean up the entire area, rebuild the shocks, POR15 the frame, etc.

It took forever, but it's awesome. Just finished my OD; now fuddling with my fuel gauge.

One day soon I'll be bragging. But not before I get more education from everyone here. What a great resource. A great hobby.

hondo402000
05-12-2012, 05:07 PM
KVH
nope was not me that gave you all the great advise on reinforcing the differential mounts.

Hondo

BobbyD
05-13-2012, 09:29 PM
Hondo...........it's a pretty easy install and it's all documented on my site. (https://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/DiffMain.htm) If you have any specific questions just ask or email me.

hondo402000
05-14-2012, 05:56 AM
Thanks Bob I knew I had read that somewhere, the only thing I did was got ahead of myself and took the front pinion nut off and didnt punch the nut and shaft so I have to figure out how to set the preload on the pinion or, take it to a transmission shop or nissan shop and have them install a new pinion seal and set the preload

thanks
Hondo

hondo402000
05-15-2012, 05:45 AM
I got a new pinion seal yesterday for the R200 differential, the Nissan place wanted 25.00 for it and the Infinity place had one in stock for 18.00, cant believe the Infinity place was cheaper, also I sent the pinion flange off to Richard Good to be machined, he has all the parts on the shelf for the conversion,and I should see them by first of the week, so I think if it quits raining I will get the drive shaft out to have is shortened by 2 inches, and I will make the reinforcing plates for the mounts and hopefully with my MIG welder I can weld them in myself!

Hondo

hondo402000
05-16-2012, 06:38 PM
I made my differential boxing pieces today, no pics, not worth posting
when I get the differentialout and the welding in progress the pic and progress will be forth coming

Hondo

hondo402000
05-20-2012, 10:15 AM
out with the old diff and in with the new diff

hondo402000
05-20-2012, 10:16 AM
now for the boxing in of the mounting points

hondo402000
05-20-2012, 02:16 PM
well the insides are done, that was a choir, now the outboarbrackets, these are going to be difficult at best

hondo402000
05-20-2012, 02:17 PM
and the other side, now one more Drink and more cusing and welding

poolboy
05-20-2012, 02:26 PM
Continue on, but what you've already done has taken the flex and springiness out of the bracket, which is the whole idea.

hondo402000
05-20-2012, 03:13 PM
finished, the welds on the outboard side didnt look quite as good but its better than without the brackets, so now the hard part, cleaning up

Once I get the rest of the parts the new R200 will go in so pics coming on that too

Hondo

DNK
05-20-2012, 03:27 PM
well the insides are done, that was a choir, now the out board brackets, these are going to be difficult at best

:whistle: :laugh:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/71/Mormon_Tabernacle_Choir.jpg/300px-Mormon_Tabernacle_Choir.jpg

HerronScott
05-20-2012, 04:23 PM
Continue on, but what you've already done has taken the flex and springiness out of the bracket, which is the whole idea.

Poolboy,

This is the standard reinforcement that I've seen with information on it posted on VTR and kits sold by TRF, Wishbone Classics and a number of other vendors.

I think this is the first time that I've seen anyone advise against doing this reinforcement though?

Scott

KVH
05-20-2012, 05:22 PM
Looks great. I probably mentioned this--on mine I also welded braces inside the rear bridge and along the sides of the spring housings. I cheated and had a friend with a full service garage do it for me. Good welder. I basically did whatever Richard Good recommended and he'd sent me some pictures.

The front nose of the Nissan diff tends to bump on the curved lip of the front bridge housing, and Richard advises machining or bending that somewhat. I didn't take that advice seriously enough and I'm getting some thumping right there.

The issue is the spacing of the adapter to the stock bridge and pins.I used some spacing washers but the angle makes use of washers not all that effective. The nose pretty much remains 1/16 inch from the bridge. Watch for that maybe.

poolboy
05-20-2012, 06:16 PM

Poolboy,

This is the standard reinforcement that I've seen with information on it posted on VTR and kits sold by TRF, Wishbone Classics and a number of other vendors.

I think this is the first time that I've seen anyone advise against doing this reinforcement though?

Scott

:confuse: Did I ?

trrdster2000
05-20-2012, 06:17 PM
Hondo, Looks good, what's next,??? 280 ZX rear axle and shock towers. I saw that done on a TR6 that was running in IMSA. Don't recall for sure but it might have been Ted Schumacher.

Wayne

hondo402000
05-21-2012, 05:37 AM
Hey Wayne
no I doubt I will be doing anything else, I already have the CV axles installed, just the differential will be it

Hondo

trrdster2000
05-21-2012, 06:37 PM
Hondo, glad to hear that, hope you can enjoy all your hard work this summer. Are you going to British Car Days South??? After my last disaster and getting there too late for the voting, no thanks. I still have the scare where I walked into the trailer and had to drive down in that heat.

Have fun!!!

Wayne

The one in Dobson was great, hope you got there. Guess what, there will be no show this year, just found out. Hope they find somewhere with more than one tree or have it a bit earlier in the year.

Regards

hondo402000
05-22-2012, 06:26 AM
well I dropped off the drive shaft to be shortened by 2 inches, it should be finished tomorrow afternoon, Powertrane in Charlotte is doing the drive shaft, Richard said my parts shipped on Thrusday and would be at my house when I get home tomorrow! so all I have to do is pull the CV half shafts out and change the axles, the Nissan diff takes longer axles than what the Std differential takes and Richard was good enough to give me a credit on the used shafts and spacers that I send back to him. So the plan is to start putting the Nissan differential back in and should be driving by Sunday(thats if I dont put the boat in the water)

Hondo

hondo402000
05-23-2012, 07:06 PM
well got the drive shaft back and the brackets for the R200 differential on
see the pics, the new axles are here, so pulling the CV shafts out and replacing the axles, then its all back together this weekend, wow between boating and the car, I will be busy plus meeting 2 ladies this weekend

Hondo

hondo402000
05-25-2012, 05:26 PM
Ok the R200 unit is in place, what a great kit, it fit up perfectly, and Richard machined the pinion yoke and if you look at his directions he also reduces the diameter of the yoke to match the original drive shaft flange, so Bobby maybe thats why you had some rubbing issues. I had to replace the axles on the CV half shafts because the set I purchased were for the original differential, and the axles for the R200 are a tad longer,( I will be sending the other shafts back and the adapters so richard Good might offer a discount on his kits on used parts) Replacing the axle was a little difficult on the first half shaft but a breeze on the second one. here are some pics. all I have to do is put the exhaust system back on.. I think I am going to weld the whole thing on I am tired of clamps

hondo402000
05-26-2012, 05:58 PM
Well I got the exhaust system back on. That was the most difficult part of the R200 conversion, I had to do a lot of modifications to get the system back in without hitting the differential or the frame, I am sure glad I bought the MIG welder. I have the Monza exhausts with the twin chrome tips. I really didnt like the look of 4 tail pipes so I cut the inside tip off of each muffler, welded a cover over the holes and now I have dual exhaust, see the attached pic

well the project comes to an end the only thing to do tomorrow morning is to get it off the jack stands and take it for a test drive

Hondo

hondo402000
05-27-2012, 06:10 PM
well!!!!! I just got back from the maiden trip with the R200 differential conversion,,,,,,60 miles around the loop in Charlotte NC, and I can honestly say thats the best bank for the buck ratio! no clunking, no lunking, no vibrations, its silent, its smooth its wonderful! doesnt hurt that I am packing 200 HP and 200 Ft pounds of torque after my engine rebuild, boy when I get on the gas its smokin! got lots of looks and double takes! I highly recommend it, the R200 conversion that is.

Hondo

BobbyD
05-27-2012, 09:27 PM
And...................it doesn't leak!

KVH
05-27-2012, 09:41 PM
Hondo,

When the opportunity arises, like if you're under the car admiring your work. or if you have a wheel off for some reason, please do me a favor and tell me how much room you have between the top nose ridge line of your R200 and the lower lip of your front bridge. You'll recall that I've got a whopping 1/16" or so.

Thanks and great to hear how it works and runs. My experience is exactly the same, without the 200 hp. All that's left for me is to chase down a thump here and there.

Hey one other question. When you tightened those lock nuts on the adopter for the R200 mounting, did you have bolt thread to spare? For me I barely got through the nyloc part.

Thanks

KVH
05-27-2012, 09:51 PM
I see the pics now. Looks like you had lots of thread left. The TR6 kit may be different from the 4A kit.

BobbyD
05-28-2012, 07:14 AM

Poolboy,

Scott

Don't mean to answer for PB but I believe he was saying to continue on with the welding of the brackets......I'm pretty sure his car has them all boxed in too.

I went one additional step and boxed in the rear as best I could (https://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/DiffMounts.htm)