PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR-3A Headlights Main versess Dip

Arrow
05-06-2012, 06:06 PM
I am re-wiring my TR-3A with a modern after market wiring harness The Triumph Instruction Manual says the blue and red wire goes to the "main" headlight and the blue with white wire goes to the "dip" head light. I would think the "dip" would be the low beam but am not sure and since I am eliminating the bayonet connectors and installing modern plugs I'd rather get it right the first time. Is the main the high beam and the dip the low beam? Thanks Tom

Dale
05-06-2012, 06:13 PM
I'm pretty sure you've got it right. But, then again "dip" may refer to the previous owner, as in the DPO so often referred to here.:-)

Geo Hahn
05-06-2012, 06:14 PM
Blue/White is the high beam.

If you look at your wiring diagram you'll see that blue/white (UW) is also the wire to the high beam indicator on the speedo.

Banjo
05-06-2012, 06:14 PM
You are correct sir!

Geo Hahn
05-06-2012, 06:25 PM
...The Triumph Instruction Manual says the blue and red wire goes to the "main" headlight...

Are you refering to the Service Instruction Manual? In my copy, Fig. 34 in the electrical section shows the blue/white wire is for the 'main beam'.

Andrew Mace
05-06-2012, 07:06 PM
I am re-wiring my TR-3A with a modern after market wiring harness The Triumph Instruction Manual says the blue and red wire goes to the "main" headlight and the blue with white wire goes to the "dip" head light....I'd love to know what Manual (and what edition) this is, since (as several have pointed out) it is incorrect!

TR3driver
05-06-2012, 08:55 PM
I'd love to know what Manual (and what edition) this is, since (as several have pointed out) it is incorrect!

Ditto. Note that there should be several different wiring diagrams, since both the TR3 and TR3A changed several times over the years. If you have a "one size fits all", then there are probably some more mistakes.

Arrow
05-08-2012, 03:06 PM
Someone asked which Service Manul I had. I have a really old one I had when I first got this vcar in the 60s bu tthe one I referenced earlier in this string is Service Instruction Manual-Third Edition-Incorporating Supplement for TR3 Model. Issued by Service Divisin, Standard-Triumph Sales LTD. It appears to be a reproduction after market book.

TR3driver
05-08-2012, 05:08 PM
Ok, so where does it say that UR should go to main filaments, rather than UW?

It will also not have the correct wiring for the turn signals, wiper, brake lights and likely dash lamps (depending on your TR3A's commission number). The wiper motor is a particular problem, since if you follow the diagram, it will blow the fuse every time you turn the motor on.

Oh yeah, the instructions for connecting the heater are wrong, too. Connect it to the hot terminal on the fuel gauge (where the diagram shows the wire from the wiper switch).

Roger
05-09-2012, 09:53 AM
Don't know why I saw this thread, but if an old Englishman can add his tuppence-worth, it's pretty much an Olde English standard that Blue/White is Main (high) beam, Blue-Red is Dipped (low) beam. Also, "normal" abbreviations on wiring diagrams
are UW and UR, the letter "B" being reserved for Black.

TR3driver
05-09-2012, 11:27 AM
D'oh!