PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A Original TR3?

Tim Tucker
05-05-2012, 05:57 PM
I would like to hear what the TR3 crowd has to say about this car.
Original TR3 (https://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/photopanel.cgi?listingid=1404473&category=4&zip=37 763&kwd=)

The car was removed from this property:
Estate Auction (https://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/auctionview.cgi?lid=1403980&kwd=&zip=37763&categor y=0)

This property is 3 mile from my house. I had several people over the years (~15-20) tell me of this car. I can tell you that the driveway was for 4x4s only for ~2-3 years. The wife told me on Friday (open-house) that the car had not been 'out' in 'years'. The car was removed before I could see it...:(

I plan on going to the auction to see what it goes for. Crossville is ~20 miles from me.

I know the pictures are poor, but are there any clear indicators that it is not 'original'? What is this worth if the rust content is a minimal as I'm being told?

Thanks,
Tim

TR3driver
05-05-2012, 06:29 PM
I don't see anything beyond the obvious. Over-riders missing, hub caps missing. Radio looks to be relatively modern. Some kind of something on the dash next to the heater control, probably not an overdrive switch.

No idea on price. From the looks of the seats & battery box (with that big pile of what appears to be corrosion, I'm guessing there is almost nothing left in that area), while it appears to be very original, it will also likely take a good deal of work to make it roadworthy.

Just curious, how much did the property bring?

Tim Tucker
05-05-2012, 06:48 PM
Thanks Randall. I didn't go to the auction with the car gone. I will find out and post. If possible, I'll go up this week and take pictures. Thanks,
Tim

mrv8q
05-05-2012, 07:10 PM
Funny, that's how I found my TR3; estate sale 8 houses from mine.This car from the lo-rez stills looks better than mine initially; mine had puked its hydraulic fluid all under the car. Being from California, I am lucky it has no rust. This car does look “original", down the the air filters on the carbs, usually they are absent.

Nice that it has a top, it looks like a factory steel top, check w/ magnet. Hard to know about rust, bondo, etc. from those photos. Does the engine turn over manually, etc.
Curious about the commision number.

Have fun investigating! Ah, the thrill of the chase!

Marvin Gruber
05-05-2012, 07:12 PM
Seats looked to be leather. Not bad overall. At TN auction, I bet someone got a pretty good buy.

Marv

Andrew Mace
05-05-2012, 07:22 PM
Some kind of something on the dash next to the heater control, probably not an overdrive switch... I saw that as well. I wonder if it might be a cigarette lighter? One of my TR3As had one mounted there, probably by the dealer when the car was new or nearly so. It was actually rather handy (when I smoked cigarettes, that is)!

Looks like a pretty decent car, though. A few weekends to go through everything that will need going through (brakes and such in particular), then enjoy the ride for a few years! :wink:

Tim Tucker
05-05-2012, 07:25 PM
Seats looked to be leather. Not bad overall. At TN auction, I bet someone got a pretty good buy.

Marv

They actually moved the car from the garage and will auction (https://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/photopanel.cgi?listingid=1404473&category=4&zip=37 763&kwd=) it on May 19th.

Tim

Geo Hahn
05-05-2012, 08:12 PM
Pedal box is body color rather than black -- not a big deal in itself but possibly suggestive of an engine bay re-spray?

Kleykamp
05-06-2012, 05:55 AM
I believe the thing in question on the dash is the windshield washer pump. Bad picture but appears to be a white knob and one of those was recently on ebay, white knob and all. My profiling tells me, from the other items being auctioned,i.e. tools, and they type of tools, i.e. welders,etc. that the car has been reworked. All that said: it appears to be a pretty decend and potentially a clean up and drive car, as previously mentioned. $$$ I don't know. I'd have to see more. I've bought them a lot worse. Somebody will have some fun.

TuffTR250
05-21-2012, 04:22 PM
Does anyone know what price this TR3 went for at auction? I believe it was due to be auctioned on May 19th. Thanks!
Regards,
Bob