PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire Question front shocks and springs for 73 spitfire

ScottFromNH
05-05-2012, 05:27 PM
I have a question. I am changing the shocks and springs on my 1973 spitfire as the original has serve rust. When I am putting the new springs on the shocks should the shocks be extended fully to be able to put the spring cap and nuts on?

Just wondering it seems the new springs and shocks are longer then the originals. I purchased them from Victoria British and the parts cover multiple years so I am guessing they are correct.

Thanks
Scott

ScottFromNH
05-05-2012, 05:32 PM
I guess I should of added what should be the uncompressed length of the spring that does fit? I have the drivers side still do to and the spring measures 13-1/4 uncompressed.

now the old shock and spring I took off the car measure 9-1/2 inches compressed on the shock.

tdskip
05-06-2012, 10:09 AM
I do not have experience with Spitfire springs directly, but on TR4/TR6 there is a wide variance on spring height/stiffness/ride height. I would strongly encourage you to talk to other Spitfire owners and be specific as to brand of spring etc...

3798j
05-06-2012, 10:24 AM
This might be of some help (although by '73 things could have changed): https://www.triumphspitfire.com/frontsprings.html

ScottFromNH
05-06-2012, 10:33 AM
Thanks guys for the information. I am going to take apart the old shock and spring today and see what that measures uncompressed. the reason I am asking is yesterday when I was finishing up the front end on the passenger side I was going to jack up the bottom of the A-Arm to I could mount the ball joint to the spindle housing and when I did that the hole car was lifting off the jack stands instead of the shock and spring compressing and I have a gut felling that shouldnt be like that??

ScottFromNH
05-06-2012, 11:41 AM
Wanted to share what I found.

https://www.teglerizer.com/triumphstuff/springs.htm

Thanks for all your help, got the wrong springs.. :frown: so I guess I will try mossmotors for them this time